using Nikon D3000 for real estate photography

k79miller

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I bought the Nikon d3000 with the 18-55mm lens to use in my real estate business but I can't tell that it shoots a wider angle than my other digital camera. Is it possible to get a wider angle shot than I'm getting when I set the lens on the 18mm? I'm also considering buying a wider angle lens. Does anyone have any suggestions on a wider angle lens?

not sure what your other camera is but you're using a crop frame body, therefore your 18mm = 27mm in 35mm/full frame format.
If your other camera is a full frame with 24mm then its wider then your digital at 18.

Yeah 18mm is pretty wide I know there is a 10-24mm (16mm on a DX sensor) AF-s DX lens nikon makes but that's going to run you around $700 and I don't think it will be dramatically wider. It might be a good idea to rent or try one out first to see if it is wide enough for you.

http://www.adorama.com/NK1024AFS.html

look into tamron 10-24. Its a square 10 vs a fisheye 10.
Tamron does a good job all around. Here's a shot I did with it few months ago.
Mark%26MaquiSample_09.jpg

@Dark don't tell the other guy, he might start challenging me :) :lmao:

" Is it possible to get a wider angle shot than I'm getting when I set the lens on the 18mm?"

Yes.
Set the timer
Put the camera on a bipod (tripod with only 2 legs out the third is in the corner Independent leg type not connected down low whether from factory or you cut off connecting links)
Leave the room.
It will move the camera back a foot or so and yield a wider shot.

Better yet get the Tokina 12-24mm I love this lens! Digital Wide Zooms

Another option you can consider is going with a virtual tour hosting company. I use justsnooping and they give you stitching software, it's like $20 a month. The software isn't the greatest but it works decent for the price. You can take a portion of the stitched images and use it for the MLS photos, this will keep you from spending a big chunk on a wide angle lens.

You will also be able to offer virtual tours to your clients and maybe charge others in your office to do tours for them.

Here is an example using the kit lens: Virtual Tour #2643055 - 9505 Button Ave - Oklahoma City, OK. 73160

ive seen some real estate website doing HDRs for thier pictures.

Most reactions

Back