Using older lenses on newer Digital cameras

websurfer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have an older Minolta X700 35mm camera and am considering purchasing a Digital SLR.
If possible I would like to buy a camera that I can fit my lenses from the X700 on. I know that some brands have this interchangeability but I can't get a straight answer from Minolta.
They obviously don't have their sharpest people answering e-mail questions.
I understand the AF Maxxum 7, 7D, and 7000 can all share lenses, and I met a guy who was using his Olympia film camera lenses on his new Olympia Digital SLR but I can't find a cross compatibility chart anywhere.
Any ideas?

I am kind of a camera enthusiast (no expert by any means) and unfortunately do not know the "type" of lenses that go on the camera.
They are bayonet style and all have the letters MD on them other than focal length numbers and the like.
Does the "MD" mean anything?

MD is the mount used with Minolta manual focus lenses. I'm not sure they will work with the DSLR... but I'm sure someone makes an adapter. You would be able to utilize some functions... like metering.

You can't manually focus on a DSLR. Not accurately anyways.

You get a body which supports AF to make your life easier. You can also control the diafragm from the body... etc... etc etc

AF lenses make your life really easy. Unless you are into shooting still life or corpses with controlled lighting...

Just bite the bullet and start investing into an AF system. Canon is best. :p ;)

DocFrankenstein said:
You can't manually focus on a DSLR. Not accurately anyways.

You should be able to focus just as accurately as you would on any other SLR.

Im going to join the band wagon here.
Why wouldnt you be able to Manual Focus on a d-slr.

I just borrowed my father-in-laws Pentax SMC - M 50mm f/1.7
and its manual focus.

I have never had a manual focus lens, so I never learned how to truely focus a lens... so this really does intrest me.

gecko said:
canon is good when u cant afford a pentax
Yeah, considering canon is more expensive :roll:

I mean that without the split screen, you can't focus fast and accurately.

I don't know if you can install a split screen on a Nikon.

I manually focus with my digital rebel for most of my shots, and they are sharp. There is no problem with manually focusing a DSLR.

As already said, your lenses are Minolta MD lenses. That means they're the older Minolta lenses where everything in manual (controlled by you).Take a look at this thread for advice on using old Minolta lenses on new Minolta cameras. There is also a link to a company which makes adaptors so you can get some ideas on what is out there and price.
Minolta do not make a DSLR. But they are in the process of making one. Go here to see it. It isn't expected to be cheap. It does have the anti-shake built into the camera though, which means any lens you put on it will also be anti-shake. Unlike the other DSLR's where the anti-shake is built into the lens.
So if you waited, bought the adaptor and had plenty of money you could use your old glass. But if it was me, I'd be tempted to buy a whole new system.

This question about using older lens on newer cameras has been discussed before. If can be done with the proper adapter. But the adapters are hard to find and lens must be used fully manual

Link to previous thread:
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8955&highlight=adapter

Jeff Canes said:
It in the August issue, the website does not have the full review
The article list www.cameraquest.com as the only major US dealer.
The big drawback about this is that the lens will only work in manual, that includes opening the adapter

http://www.shutterbug.com/features/0804sb_vintage/

adapre2.jpg
adapre1.jpg

Digital Matt said:
I manually focus with my digital rebel for most of my shots, and they are sharp. There is no problem with manually focusing a DSLR.
So you mean you can dead on focus your penta mirror rebel and accurately know where the focus will be?

Congratulations then.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back