Using only manual ?

Sirene

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Do pros only use manual or also TV and AV ?

Thanks

I'm not a pro. I think most pros use whichever works best for the particular situation though. If I had to guess, I would say a lot of Manual mode, but a good amount of Aperture Priority as well.

I personally use Manual almost all the time. Sometimes I'll switch it to Av though.

they use what ever it takes to get the job done and have even been known to use auto or program mode. The difference is they know what those options will do for the image and the situation.

i guess its your own comfort level. some prefer total manual mode where others would prefer one setting automatically set and just play with the other settings i.e. Av/Tv Mode.

they use what ever it takes to get the job done and have even been known to use auto or program mode. The difference is they know what those options will do for the image and the situation.

It's kinda like I've told my children when teaching them to drive. There ain't nothing wrong with an automatic transmission as long as you're aware of what it's doing.

I would agree with ann - whatever it takes. But I would also tend to believe a pro would move towards manual mode mostly because a pro will know which settings to use instantly to produce the intended result. I use manual and Av, but not because I'm a pro. :) I've just used them since I've had my camera from day one. It's the best way, in my opinion, to learn. Of course, I also have the luxury of taking a shot 100 times if I need to because I don't shoot anything for clients. I've also read a few photographers using aperture priority exclusively except for weird situations. Just depends I guess.

Matt

Whatever works. Manual in house for when you can control the envinronment, some form of automatic when you at least know one factor you want to remain static (aperture for instance). All of these modes are tools for someone who knows their limitations and their strengths.

I use manual quit often, but I learned in manual. I often use it at night and in low light because it is easier than trying to read the control panel.

I also shoot manual only film cameras.

I also suggest to anyone starting out to learn manual because it teaches you "why" you do something and not just "how" to do it.

(I am not a pro)

Craig

Great, thanks guys !

manual settings will give you greater control of the lighting (I use it 90%) however the auto settings are use full in some situations ie fast shooting and changing light conditions.

Do pros only use manual or also TV and AV ?

Thanks
I've recently been anointed as a "pro" by Village Idiot and Rufus. So let me chime in.

I shoot manual mode only when in studio or on location with studio lighting. There are rare occasions where I shoot manual without studio lighting.

Generally you'll find my camera set to Av mode. I pick the depth of field I want (aperture) and I let the camera pick the shutter speed. This is great for static to semi-static subjects.

If I'm in a situation where I'm trying to stop motion or control the motion blur, I'll switch to Tv mode and set my shutter speed and let my camera determine the aperture setting.

I never use auto ISO.

Hope that helps.

Early in my pro career, I shot manual because... well... Nikon F's and F2's didn't HAVE any automatic on em :)

Later, I shot aperture priority for static stuff and shutter priority for sports.

Full manual for everything involving studio lighting (obviously).

Now that I am not a pro any more, I virtually NEVER shoot manual when not using strobes, simply because I don't see the point in it when you are not using an external light meter. If you are hand metering, OK, then I get it... but if you are using the camera's meter anyway, all you do when shooting manual is add steps to the process IMHO... I shoot aperture priority and shutter priority 99.9 percent of the time when above water.

Below water, I shoot manual (dual strobes) all the time.

ooo... OP not only posted one of the usual flamebait messages along the lines of "Am I only cool if I only use manual?" but also tossed in the "pro" word there.

This should be good...

:popcorn:

For the record, I use all the modes on my camera at different times, including Program... though admittedly I use program a lot less than I used to and generally now use aperture priority instead. I tend to use shutter priority when I am using longer focal lengths or dealing with fast action... manual when I have something particular I need to do and/or the circumstances are complex enough to warrant it.

First off, I'm not a pro.

The only mode I ever use is Aperture Priority. I'll occasionally use manual when working with a tripod, or when the lighting is more static, or when I simply don't want the camera messing with my settings

Bottom line, use whatever works best for you.

Most reactions

Back