Using poetry in photos?

I know exactly what you mean and being a poet myself, I am totally stealing the idea...let us see some of your progress as soon as possible and I will do like-wise...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPDcwjJ8pLg[/ame]

This is similar I suppose in a way, as each bit of card is about the person holding it.
And TWLOHA. I took part in that :D

"Treating your audience like thieves is absurd. Anyone who chooses to listen to our music becomes a collaborator."
Jeff Tweedy

:) Happy to hear it

I know exactly what you mean and being a poet myself, I am totally stealing the idea...let us see some of your progress as soon as possible and I will do like-wise...

I have several word/image projects in the works. I started by trying to illustrate my own poetry but I found it way too hard. I just couldn't make images that conveyed the feeling of the piece. They were more like illustrations of just a chunk of it and that didn't work for me, lol.

I then tried in my last city in the US to do a series of portraits juxtaposed by a text from the subject on the city. Something, anything, about it. I had a hell of a time getting subjects to sit for the photos and then I moved so, that project was abandoned. But some of the results may get included into another variation on this idea.

Right now I'm working on a comic book type thing with highly PSed photos and also an illustrated children story.

I got some of my inspiration from books that don't have any photos such as the "Griffin and Sabine" series by Nick Bantock and the work of Dave McKean. But I've always felt that inspiration for photographic works can come from other medias. The two books that originally got me started though are Sarah Moon's version of "Little Red Riding Hood" (unfortunately out of print and fairly expensive on the used market) and a book called "Structure of the Visual Book" by Keith Smith. Basically about the book as an art piece, a sculpture. It's an old book so probably not available new.

The last thing I want to mention is Photo-montage. It is a bit like collage except that it only uses photo materials, either negs or prints. Photo-montage has been used in different ways during the history of photography but there was a period in France when the artists where trying to turn the resulting images into a visual poem.

From my own experience it is easier to do with either prints or LF negs as cutting up details in a 35 mm neg is not easy. I used mostly 4x5 and 8x10 negs to end up with a final neg of 11x17. I used my own rejected negs as well as found stuff and it was quite fun to do.

Hope this inspires you.

PS = Thanks to white for mentioning Duane Michaels. I had forgotten about him, lol.

Most reactions

Back