Using the SB-600 Wirelessly.

Markw

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.outsidetherainbow.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi all. My SB-600 came in today :mrgreen:.

I love it, but I notice that it only works off-camera if the pop-up flash is also on. I dont understand this. Is this how its supposed to be? Will this effect exposure? If so, is there a way I can get it not to fire? I know I should just read both the camera and flash manuals, but Im not home. Thanks for any help.

Mark

the D90 uses the pop up flash to communicate with the SB-600 through preflashes. No they will not affect your exposure.

p!nK

Manufacturers' own off-camera systems kind of suck. Yes, they work, but the range is limited, you need to use the on-camera flash and they're all IR-based, so they're useless outside. That's why you see professionals using RF systems like Pocket Wizard.

The popup flash when in commander mode wont affect your photos at all.

I havent had problems with the range outside as long as youre reasonable about it.

I use the Commander mode all of the time when im doing my stock photography pictures. On my D90 there is an option in the commander mode setup that allows you to set the pop up flash for iTTL, Manual, Or Off. I use all three of these depending on the shot. Please note though that if you turn the setting to "Off" it will still fire to trigger the remote flashes, but early enough to not have it effect exposure.....

It's all covered in your D90 and SB-600 manuals.

I wonder if you bothered to look at them? :scratch:

You could have even prepared for the arrival of the speedlight by looking at the information in the D90 manual in the days preceeding the arrival of the SB-600 as well as downloading, and reading, the SB-600 manual from www.nikonusa.com.

I recommend the book The Nikon Creative Lighting System by Mike Hagen.

Of course that all presupposes you use the optical line-of-sight system built into your D90, CLS, rather than an aftermarket wireless radio triggering system.

If you're shooting in the direction of a reflective surface, the preflash WILL show up. Other than that it wont really change the image.

rallysman beat me to the punch for the answer, but he didn't bother to show examples, now did he? :D

Yes, CLS is a great reason to get into OCF. Likewise it a great reason to upgrade later on. Even with the built-in flash set to (--) which supposedly only pre-flashes, it does show on reflective surfaces. Considering macro? Do you realize how many bugs have reflective bodies and/or body parts?

Setup: SB-600 shot into a reflective umbrella at 135° camera axis right, 45° downward tilt and 24" above subject.

CLS Firing
912572815_hrcSD-XL.jpg

RF Firing
912572851_32dXH-XL.jpg

Everything being equal, the only difference is dead center of the lens.​

On a side note..... that is one bulbous front element on the 14-24mm lens to pick up the umbrella reflection from that far back. :lol:

EDIT:
Looking at it a bit closer, there are more subtle difference in the images. The CLS Firing also picked up more reflection of the piece of glass everthing is sitting on in lieu of color cast of the cardboard box underneath. There is also more light striking the rim of the lens..... that part between the front element and the inside of the lens hood.​

For those that are interested, that is Nikon's Holy Trinity. The 14-24mm as the subject, the 24-70mm with a B+W Kaeseman CPL and the 70-200mm VR I standing on end far left. :biggrin:

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back