Using Tokina ATX Pro lens with Canon 20D

ronrapp

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have been using Tokina ATX Pro lens with my Canon 20D for a while and I am so frustrated with the soft images. They are so horribly soft I can't even use them. I have done everything from focusing manually to using manual exposure. I have also tried closing down the lens aperture.

My wife uses Canon Powershot Pro1 and G9 and her photos are sharp everytime. Well, I know the point and shoot cameras take sharp photos.
But I expect my camera and not so cheap lenses would take better photos than a point and shoot camera.

I can't figure it out. Does anyone know what could be causing this?

The lenses I have: Tokina ATX Pro 24-70mm f/2.8, 17mm f/2.8, 100-300mm f/4.0.

See the photos in full size. Please, view them in 100% and you'll see what I mean.

I would appreciate any suggestion. I'm about to dump the lenses or Camera. LOL

http://lightremixed.com/IMG_1066.jpg
http://lightremixed.com/IMG_1070.jpg
:grumpy:

I know one thing, it's not all of the lenses.

Let's put it this way
What settings *have* you tried? I'm willing to bet it's camera shake or something...

Last edited:
I know one thing, it's not all of the lenses.

Let's put it this way
What settings *have* you tried? I'm willing to bet it's camera shake or something...

That can't be, because I have a very sturdy tripod that I've been using for years. I never take pictures without my tripod. This is what's so strange. I didn't just begin to shoot pictures. I have been taking pictures for a long time and I am not new to exposures, and that makes me even more frustrated.

Thanks for the reply.

They were taken at 1/15 at f/22 on a sturdy tripod. Sometimes I even use mirror lockup. No change.

Welcome to the forum.

There could be several factors at play here.
Firstly; with digital it's very easy to zoom in to 100% or closer...and at these magnifications, it's very easy to notice the imperfections. This might be the equivelent of using 35mm film to make a 16x20 print and viewing it with your nose pressed up against it. Print it off yourself (or have it printed) at at least 8x10 and judge it at arm's length.

Much of the time, digital images will benefit from sharpening. Unsharp Mask, in photoshop is one of the most popular methods. Sharpening won't fix an unsharp image but it certainly can give a good image some pop.

I don't claim to know a lot about Tokina lenses...but their reputation isn't great. I would suggest trying out a good quality Canon lens to see if there is any difference. Even if you just bring your camera into a shop and ask to try some lenses out.

It is possible that your camera is in need of adjustment, so if you can rule out the lenses, you might want to call a Canon service centre.

From what I have heard, the Tokina ATX Pro lenses are pretty damn good. I only have 1 Tokina lens, and it is a fully manual 28MM f2.8, and it is a fine lens in my opinion.

F22 is not a sharp apature,
Like Reg said above try to knock it down below f16 and see what happens, I made the same mistake last year and had the same results you are getting.

I've taken shots at F22 that were much sharper than that.

I have been using Tokina ATX Pro lens with my Canon 20D for a while and I am so frustrated with the soft images. They are so horribly soft I can't even use them. I have done everything from focusing manually to using manual exposure. I have also tried closing down the lens aperture.

My wife uses Canon Powershot Pro1 and G9 and her photos are sharp everytime. Well, I know the point and shoot cameras take sharp photos.
But I expect my camera and not so cheap lenses would take better photos than a point and shoot camera.

I can't figure it out. Does anyone know what could be causing this?

The lenses I have: Tokina ATX Pro 24-70mm f/2.8, 17mm f/2.8, 100-300mm f/4.0.

See the photos in full size. Please, view them in 100% and you'll see what I mean.

I would appreciate any suggestion. I'm about to dump the lenses or Camera. LOL

http://lightremixed.com/IMG_1066.jpg
http://lightremixed.com/IMG_1070.jpg
:grumpy:

Are these tripod shots?? cuz one of them is at 1/8th...

This is not a knock at Canon exactly but I have heard about Canon users *itching about the 28-70/80mm ATX Pro lenses and Nikon users loving them.

I have nothing to base this on but I suspect it's something to do with Canon's auto-focus. My 280 ATX works wonderfully on my Nikon. It's not particularly soft at f/2.8 either.

So, have you tried to manually focus the lens? Is it clean? (dumb question but still..) Do you have a filter on it? Is it clean and of good quality?

Are you zooming in to 1600% to see how sharp it is?

Curious minds and all. :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back