Using tripods / monopods in Washington DC?

Ilovemycam

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was told tripods are not allowed in DC unless you have a permit. Are monopods OK to use? Or can you get away with a tripod for 5 minutes here or there?

Okay, general rule: many sites allow "tourist" photography but either ban or require a permit (with fees) for "commercial" photography. How do you tell the difference? For the National Park Service and some of the museums, it's commercial if it involves a tripod.

Okay, specifics: I've never been able to get away with using a tripod in either the Hirshhorn or any of the Smithsonians. Metro bans tripods. I've absolutely used a tripod outdoors for numerous shots (including the National Mall), including some national park territory. The key is that you not be using the tripod in a really busy place where it impedes the flow of traffic or you have a setup that looks like a production (i.e.: soft box or light modifier, assistant, model, sandbags).

When I've used a tripod in DC, I've set up quickly, shot and moved on. Or I used a tripod substitute (a bean bag, a bungee cord, a clamp, a gorillapod, etc.).

Most reactions

Back