Utopia of Critique Forum

Well to give you an actual example:

Last week, one of the more vocal "anyone who wants to should be able to" advocates told a poster that they shouldn't use "high key in all their photos".

Needless to say, there wasn't a highkey photo in the bunch.

The advocate just didn't have a clue what highkey was. They had misunderstood something they read, or had themselves gotten a bad definition from another misinformed person.

So basically, the OP was rightly confused, and learned nothing. And it ended up just prolifterating a bad definition of a term not understood by the "critic".

I agree with a lot of what has been said. Elsa and HvR are spot on, but are we really going to make it better? What real headway are we actually making? (I say we even though my contribution has been nil) Discussion for the sake of discussion is great. And some of the suggestions would be outstanding. But, are they practical suggestions? Example: Even if TPF could afford and were to hire 8-10-12 pro's, would everyone be happy with there opinions? Half be happy? I doubt it. (Don't ask a pro to give up so much of their time un-paid.)
Seldom do I critique a posted image. While our craft does have conventions as HvR has pointed out, some can be stretched and even broken in the name of art. IMO, crit's are often the viewers opinion and like a$$h@les, everyone has one as do I. Opinions are not set in stone, they are going to offend someone. Professional opinions or not, a lot of shooters are not going to agree or like what they read. This is the internet, not a classroom. In a classroom setting, the professors opinion carries weight. But not here on the net.

Unfortunately, it seems that it IS only a discussion, and a lesson in futility. As I understand things (been wrong before and could be now), we must ALL agree, and that is not likely. In the history of mankind, there has never been an instance of everyone agreeing on anything, so I'm not sure why that seems to be the requirement for this. Maybe it's a way of the forum Gods to laugh at us, and say, "yeah it isn't so easy, is it"?

Much wasted breath (or fingers).

To reiterate my idea (probably more understandably but maybe not)

1. Create critique forum where all members have the right to create threads but only specific people have the right to reply (if I'm not mistaken this forum software has that capability)

2. Different levels of critique forum could be created. (Beginner Intermediate Advanced or Technical and Overall)

3. Create contest or poll allowing people to select the critique people (one must post a picture and possibly a subforum to critique for.) Giving the ability to only allow those with the ability to critique (or at least critique a given subforum (so say someone that tends to be a little harsh would only critique advanced)) to critique.

4. This also gives us an idea as to whether or not the people we want critiquing even want to.

Any approach that is complicated simply will not work. Any approach that is seen as ignoring basic photographic standards for the sake of encouragement or for any other reason will have ZERO credibility among experienced enthusiasts or even semi-pros.

Why bother? Anyone serious about wanting credible critique will simply post their photos elsewhere.

skieur

Any approach that is complicated simply will not work. Any approach that is seen as ignoring basic photographic standards for the sake of encouragement or for any other reason will have ZERO credibility among experienced enthusiasts or even semi-pros.

Why bother? Anyone serious about wanting credible critique will simply post their photos elsewhere.

skieur

This could be a valid point. With so many active members on this forum(and the personalities that come with that size), something like this may be more unrealistic than some people realize.

However, that doesn't take away from our top-notch community and photo sharing style, even if not in the form of serious critique. The fact is this forum doesn't have to include a critique, and as Skieur mentioned, members can go to other clubs or online organizations for that, just as they would go somewhere else if they were in search of a place to buy photos. It's just not what this forum is designed for or has the demographics to do.

Just a thought, open to criticism or thoughts.

someone please tell me to shut up, BUT

dude,
you guys are critiquing the critique for the demise for the critique forums

And Im critiquing your critique of the critique for the demise for the critique forums

:D

and my opening line was a critique of my critique of your your critique of the critique for the demise for the critique forums which was a critique in all its own right as I should be told now to shut my mouth... :lol:

OK, shut up. (had to be said, and I'm just the smart@$$ to do it) That's out of the way, so where do we stand. Other than on our own two feet, I see nothing 's been accomplished.
So, is it a dead thread, or more hopping around on one foot blindfolded?

OK, shut up. (had to be said, and I'm just the smart@$$ to do it) That's out of the way, so where do we stand. Other than on our own two feet, I see nothing 's been accomplished.
So, is it a dead thread, or more hopping around on one foot blindfolded?

Well the problem is simple: Too many want to help people, not enough of them know how to help correctly, and those who do know how to help are unwilling because those who ask for help don't know how to translate the help given to them and/or not willing to look at the image and see what the person is telling them the problem is for them selves.

the solution however....

YES?.... We are all ears..... one foot and a blindfold.

yeah, I am drawing a blank, partly because of all the critique forums I have seen on other forums I use don't have this issue. So few people give enough of a rat's @$$ about other peoples work, the only ones who say any thing are of some use to those who ask with only one rule to to bind them.

as far as my making any suggestions to assist in this, I have made every one I can come up with already.

Most reactions

Back