vaccinations

ferny

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.blueyedmuffin.co.uk
Just went for my mumps vaccination. Apparently there is an epidemic and they want to stab everyone under 24 at the moment. I've been told that my arm may hurt, I may get a rash and I could even feel low for a while (wow, I've got an excuse this time...) at any time during the next three weeks. The nurse told me that I may need all sorts of other boosters as well.

I work at a school so I'm high risk, or so I'm told. She also said to spread the word. So, go get yourself stabbed people.

Hmm. When we had jabs for Hepatitis B - they told us, that the injection is actually them giving you the disease while you were healthy. But there is a chance that you could actually get Hepatitis B from having the vaccination!!!

Poor Ferny...did you cry when the nurse attacked you with a syringe (sp?) :D:D

All vaccinations (as far as I am aware) involve injecting a small amount of the virus into your body. The body develops an immunity to what they've put into your body. That's why you can have the symptoms of the virus after the injection, but not actually get it.
I'm not aware of the Hep B jab being able to actually give you it. I would have had to have that injection myself if I'd have gone on the first aid course at work. It was on a Thursday so I was busy getting hot and sweaty next to a swimming pool instead. :meh: Still, it means I don't have to deal with blood, I just send them over to someone else.

Poor Ferny...did you cry when the nurse attacked you with a syringe (sp?)
Correct spelling. :thumbsup:
Injections don't bother me. They used to when I was little. I remember being held down in a chair at the hospital when I was little. I screamed like mad and refussed to have it down. They got me in the end.
Now it's just a litle scratch and that's it. I do hate it when they take blood though. They took loads last time. A little warning would have been nice. Well, a bigger warning than walking towards me with a box full of little bottles to be filled up. :shock:

I remember when I was in 4th grade, I had to have a surgery...and they had to take blood to do tests on first. It took FIVE FULL GROWN NURSES TO HOLD ME DOWN! I've been through so many medical procedures now, it's nothin.

oh man i feel sick reading this *feels like puking*

I hope you don't feel too sick from it.

im ok with getting shots as long as i dont see the needle and watch it happen. no one has to hold me down. i won't freak out.

i HATE giving blood though. i always feel sick and it take so long :( even just from the small amount....

fadingaway1986 said:
Hmm. When we had jabs for Hepatitis B - they told us, that the injection is actually them giving you the disease while you were healthy. But there is a chance that you could actually get Hepatitis B from having the vaccination!!!
I've jsut been told that you can only catch it from bodily fluids, not vaccinations.

There are two types of vaccines. Live, and killed. The more dangerous of the two are live vaccines, which administer living organism (either mutated or weakened) that will induce a b-cell memory response. A killed vaccine uses killed organisms with the body recognizing specific receptors on the surface of the organisms to the same end.

Essentially letting your body be exposed to these organisms teaches your body how to fight it. Think of it as intel gathering. When your body does see a full strength organism it will be able to ramp up a whole body humoral response in less than 24 hours as opposed to 5-7 days without a previous exposure.

There are risks involved with ALL vaccinations, which is why they make you sign a release. However, most of the vaccine risks are much less than the danger of catching the disease they are vaccinating against.

Make no mistake, the medical community thinks they have erradicated many diseases, and it WILL come back and bite them in the ass. There is no such thing. We are already seeing an influx of pertussis cases into our ER this year--a supposedly erradicated disease we've stopped vaccinating for.

which is why they make you sign a release.
Not here they don't. Well, I've never signed one (perhaps my mum did when I had them done in school). My sister went down to get her ear syringed and whilst she was there they checked her records and found she needed a booster. Afterwards she checked mine and said "oh, and tell your brother to come down, we'll do him as well". So I popped down there today, waited two minutes in the waiting room and then went in and got injected. That was it. I was in and out in ten minutes and no forms to sign and no money to pay.

well I don't bother if the vaccinations are alive or killed... I'm afraid of them!!!! still :alien: :p

Most reactions

Back