value for money?

ajmall

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.photodrew.co.uk
i share a nightmare similar to many photographers out there at the moment wishing to change from film to digital. i currently shoot with a nikon F80 and have 4 lenses. i have been keen on getting the Fuji S3 as i can use my lenses plus it has a whopping 12mp's and it's also based on the F80's body.

however a friend who uses a 300d and loves it says not to bother with nikon and that the Fuji S3 is not particuarly good. i know this is probably bias to an extent but i've heard so much from different people it's getting annoying as i don't know what to believe or do!

i am looking at selling/submitting photos for either publishing or personal prints so would the extra quality of an S3 be worth it over the canon?

will the investment of a canon, either a 10D or 20D be justify the extra cost of lenses? my budget at the moment only really stretches to a body only 20D and the Fuji S3 body (if bought online).

thanks for your help

Your friend with the 300D is biased and doesn't know what they are talking about.

If you have the Nikon glass go with a D70 or the S3. Unless you feel like spending a load of cash on new lenses for a trivial difference in quality.

What about a Nikon D70? Your lenses will work and the image quality is quite good. There may even be a replacement to the D100 coming soon. That might be worth looking at. Switching from Nikon to Canon just would not make sense...IMO.

I don't know much about the Fuji S2 or S3 but it seems that there are quite a few Pros using them.

ok i've just spent a good hour and a half looking at reviews of the S3, 10D, 20D, D100, D70 and D1X!! too many "D's" for my liking...

taking everything from image quality to handling into account it still seems the 10D or 20D comes out tops for me. The S3 lacks in image quality especially as it produces gingantic file sizes- even bigger than higher megapixel cameras like the 1Ds MK2. plus it is the most expensive of the bunch i've looked at.

one thing i need when photographing anything is a vertical grip which sadly the D70 doesn't offer. if it did i would probably have got one a while ago. i've just read on a review that it has iso ratings of 200, 250 and 320?! i never knew they existed?! is this an error?

i guess i could wait even longer for a nikon replacement of the D100 or D70 but i've waited for ages already...! where's a good place to read "rumours" about nikon products?

cool. i think i will wait till after then and see what nikon come up with.

i had a hands on look at the D70, 10D and 20D all in the same shop to my suprise as they've been rare on occasions. i have to say, the D70 was nice to hold and so so light to my suprise though it really needs a vertical grip!

With your lenses I'd definatly consider the D70 (or whatever Nikon replaces it with) And this is coming from a long time Canon user. The D70 was the camera of the year in '04.

Most reactions

Back