value meal

Discussion in 'General Gallery' started by mysteryscribe, Jan 26, 2007.

1. mysteryscribe

mysteryscribe TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    [​IMG]

2. just x joey

just x joey TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    i dont liek the unfocused effect...

3. THORHAMMER

THORHAMMER TPF Noob!

it has an interesting look to it.

almost a painting, but not quite.

just a lot of peanut butter color in the shot.....

4. mysteryscribe

mysteryscribe TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    To be honest guys I have a lot of double vision I couldn't even tell it was out of focus. I should have textured it to hide it. I probably need to do that from now on thanks.

Thor it is sepia then tinted on top it gives it the peanut butter look all over.

5. jocose

jocose TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit

well, now I feel bad because I was gonna say that I don't like the out of focus look either :)

But I do like the set up and the subject. I think you should do it again with better glasses or a second set of eyes to look at it before you snap!

6. mysteryscribe

mysteryscribe TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Hey don't feel bad. If you hadn't said something I would have gone on doing the same things. The image doesn't care about my failing eyesight and should be judged for what they are not what I'm not The craft deserves better than to be tainted by personal feelings one way or another.

As long as i can trip a shutter, I'll shoot something. I might have to change the way I do things a hundred times, but I don't plan to quit making images.

I can't i have too much film laying about/

[​IMG]

Not sure if this helped you tell me. I'm serious tell me if adding texture helps the appearance.

After I got past the making excuses and trying to save it, I tried to figure out what happened to the shoot. I was shooting in my studio. I usually shoot closeups with long depths of field but today I shot it on film and could shoot at 1/25 of a second if I used f6.3. It appears that my dof was to small to compensate for the difference between the film plane of the film holder as opposed to the plane of the focus screen. Which can be no more than millimeters.

See you guys taught me something be proud of yourselves. It wasn't the eyes on the view screen it was the eyes on the computer screen.

7. snaremop

snaremop TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Wow, that really looks like a painting! I like it though.

8. newrmdmike

newrmdmike TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    i like them both, but liked the first one better

9. inneist

inneist TPF Noob!

Haha, mysteryscribe, I like your second rendition. And I like "creamy" (?) peanut butter. ;)

10. Tyson

Tyson TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    PB&J the best meal ever, nice picture.

11. Jeremy Z

Jeremy Z No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Nice idea. Kudos to you for shooting even though your vision is not top-shelf. It might be time to either go autofocus.. It kind of reminds me of Beethoven going deaf. :(

As to the image, I think it might have more impact without all the branding visible. Like if you pulled the labels off the jars and took the bread out of the bag.

12. mysteryscribe

mysteryscribe TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    good point,,, Actually I think I have it figured out. It got posted because i cant tell the computer screen is soft or not,

The ground glass focus was on the objects. and the fstop was 6.3 which is pretty short when the lens is racked out to macro focus on a view cam, So what happened is the objects were in focus on my ground glass when I replaced it with the film holder the focus was off just a hair because of the millimeter or so difference in the focal length.

That and the short depth of field threw off the peanut butter jar and left the other two items in sorta focus. Now when I put them on the scanner it went to the low resolution screen of the monitor which I can never really tell because it is doubled always.

Usually I have a f45 or at least f32 so there is a huge dof. Just a combination of errors that taught me something about both macro depth of field and my vision and where it is worse.

Most times I only use one eye to focus a camera. Even on the ground glass I close one. On the computer I don't i just ignore one image but it does tend to bleed into the other. So I know now huge depth of field with macro view camera shots. Most all of my still life shots will be effected.

You know it proves you are never too old to learn. I really thought a 6,3 was plenty small enough... wrong