Variation in Arista EDU film formats?

Luke_H

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
I've been trying out some of Freestyle's Arista EDU films that equate to the Fomapan stuff.

I really like the Fomapan 100 equivalent in 120 format.

So on my last order I bought their Fomapan 200T equivalent in 35mm bulk and 10 rolls of 120.

I noticed that the film base is entirely different in that the 120 is blue like their 100iso stuff, whereas that 35mm film seemingly has no antihalation dye, and has a clear base.

Also, this is where I'm confused, the 35mm stuff is just great. The grain is finer in D76 1:1 than PanF+ is for me. The 8x10 prints I made are the sharpest, most detailed I've done, including Tmax 100.

The 120 stuff I did has pinholes in the emulsion and these bizarre streaks across it that look similar to scratches, but are not.

I'm just wondering if anyone has any advice on what current offerings in what formats are the 'good stuff'. I really like the 35mm 200T.

I was going to buy their 100 or 400 Fomapan equivalent, but want to hold off until I get an opinion from someone.

Thanks... Here are some shots

35mm example: (Nikon N80: in the 8x10 I did, you can see each pipe thread, etc...)
195192012_5c5c0eef9f.jpg

120 example: (Agfa Isolette: goofy black lines in the sky and various 'spots' that I don't see when I develop other films. Other frames have pinholes in the emulsion that show up as black dots on the prints...)
202269480_843f89c1b6.jpg

I have found various aberations in the edu films. Most common for me is the 120 not being set up correctly sometimes the film isnt taped corectly and whole role is ruined.

Most of the streaks I have come from going through the film back, but I wouldnt be surpirsed if the factory rollers do that as well now and then. The quality control of the film leaves something to be desired.

I would never use it on a paid job but for how I shoot its okay. most of the time I reroll the 120 to half rolls, so I catch the film tape problems there. It is very seldom that I shoot a whole roll of film at a sitting.

I think that the Arista EDU line may just be whatever is cheapest, and the supply lines are sort of volatile right now as the digital revolution shakes the film industry like a terrier shakes a rat. I bought 20 rolls of Arista EDU 200 in 120 size when it was first introduced. The anti-halation rinse was blue-green, and it smelled really stinky. The film base was really thin and curled too much for me. I gave up on it after a dozen rolls or so. I've also tried Arista EDU 400 in 4x5 sheets, and I was plenty happy with that.

I like the 100 cut film 4x5 and 2x3 as well. They 120 edu lines and there are two seem thin yes, and they have a really funky dye that is a mess if you dont presoak. I had a bunch of green developer on the second use. But for the price I was pretty happy. I was also cutting it into 2x3 strips for a while and it was okay but very thin. I shot it backwards because it curled so badly but it worked fine.

It seems that the emulsion and base are very thin compared to other 120 I've used. I can't tell if it's my cameras scratching the emulsion or if it's a manufacturing defect. This is out of my Argus Super 75 from yesterday.. All are scratched similarly:

209012328_875483e039.jpg

The 100 speed version of this film has been great. It has a blue base color too, but feels about twice as thick. Someone told me that the Foma T200 has a polyester base?? I'm not sure.. I do know that I don't care for it in 120 size, but the 35mm stuff rocks.

Its hard to say on the lines you can always run another roll through and see. If im going to test one for scratches I usually run it through blank cause i hate to shoot something and have it scratched up.

Ive never had a roll that looked like that.

To check for film scratches, as opposed to camera-caused scratches, just develop a roll that hasn't seen the inside of a camera. If there are scratches, try another manufacturer.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back