Vase of Flowers Close up with off camera flash (4Pics)

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I been p[laying with off camera flash.

Subject was a vase of flowers. I was trying to get all dramatic with the lighting and using focus to draw attention towards my chosen subject. Did I achieve my target??

_JBO2717.jpg

All comments gratefully received.

Pic 1
JBO2664.jpg

Pic 2

JBO2672.jpg

Pic 3

JBO2688.jpg

Pic 4
JBO2714.jpg

CHEERS
JBO

Attachments

• _JBO2717.jpg
    _JBO2717.jpg
    194.6 KB · Views: 1
The first one I wasn't sure where you wanted the focus. It does have even light. My favorite is #4 and maybe try a square crop focusing on the left flower.

Like Cheryl above, not sure what the intent was on the first one. As to lightning, were you trying for low key, high key, soft, hard, chiaroscuro, ???, "dramatic" is a generic term that covers a broad spectrum of lighting possibilities. IMO 2-4 could all be improved by cropping in tight.

Couple of tips for closeup work. Any discrepancy in focus will show up. Working on a tripod is essential. Switch to manual focus and use your back screen enlarged to carefully focus on your point. Close up, your DOF is razor thin, focus stacking will allow you to regain DOF. Organic material reflects specular hot spots, using cross polarization lighting will prevent that and allow rich colors to come through. Finally, instead of flash try a slow exposure and "light painting" with an led light. A little pen light will produce amazing results.

Last edited:
I'm assuming the full vase photo is a reference shot. I like #1 with the light appearing to come from within the white petals at the top right of the center, almost an internal glow, and I like #2. Agree, #3 and 4 could use some cropping. The bright white blob on the right is a distraction, and #4 the flower could be closer to the center, with the right cropped out.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back