Vehicles...old and new

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by Big Mike, Jan 5, 2006.

1. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    So I've got this car, a 1994 Sunbird. Nothing special but it's got a great V-6 and standard transmission...I like it. I've done some work to it lately; put a new clutch in along with hydraulic clutch cylinders, new gaskets on the bottom end. I also had a new ignition module put in (because it didn't start for a year while I was doing that other stuff). Body is OK...but getting rusty along the bottom...so it won't be long before it all goes to pot.

Anyway, I had to take it in for a diagnosis and the list of things wrong with it was shocking. The worst thing is the front wheel bearings...the guy didn't think I would even make it home before the left side seized up. It certainly hasn't sounded good for a while. The quote to make it safe was $1300 and it was $3500 to fix all the problems they found. We had already been thinking of getting a vehicle for my wife....so this jump started the process.

Anyway, my exciting news...we are getting a 2001 Chevy Blazer LT. It may not be a new vehicle but for us, this is a huge step up. It's fully loaded...heated 8-way power leather seats...trip computer....push button 4WD with a fancy Auto mode that only engages when needed.

I just got the call that our financing was approved and I'm going to pick it up after work. Sorry for the long winded blabbing...but I'm excited. :D

2. JTHphoto

JTHphoto TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    :thumbup: congrats on the blazer! new cars are fun, even if they are just new to you. you save so much money that way. i bought an '87 camry for practically nothing as a commuter car and keep my '01 wrangler parked in the garage for weekends and evenings. With the money i save in gas i can insure the camry and basically have two cars for the price of one, and keep the miles low on my jeep. Congrats again, take it offroad - share pics!!

3. Big Mike

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks.

I am definitely thinking of going off road some time. That should make for some good photo opps.

4. Xmetal

Xmetal TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Just did a quick google search on the Blazer, it reminds me of a Ford Explorer to an extent. :)

Looks like a pretty sweet 4x4. :)

5. Big Mike

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Ya, it's pretty much the direct competition for the Ford Explorer. Maybe a little smaller than an Explorer though.

I picked it up last night...it's soooooo nice. This is the first time I've had a car that was remotely new, even though it's 5 years old already.

I really love the luxury...everything is posh. I'm not the type to buy a luxury vehicle, I'm usually about practicality but I think that I will be all that much happier...evey time I get it.

It's really odd here, we don't have any snow on the ground. We usually have a few feet for most of the winter. I'm hoping it does snow so that I can see how good the traction is.

I would love to do some 4x4ing...but the tires on it now are more of a touring tire...I guess most SUVs don't go off road anyway, so I wouldn't expect it to have big mud boggers. When I do buy tires, I'm sure I'll get a more aggressive tread.

6. JTHphoto

JTHphoto TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    :thumbup: :thumbup:

;)

7. Big Mike

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Well, I'd love to have a set of Mickey Thompson's for playing in the mud...but I'll probably have to find a compromise between that and a nice highway ride.