veil of mist

squirl033

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
a portion of one of the waterfalls cascading down from the rocky heights of Big Four Mountain east of Granite Falls... the ice caves are very much in evidence, but the trail and surrounding areas are snow-free. this was taken from the far right side (when facing the mountain) of the talus slope at the base of the mountain face... 5D, 24-135. .8 sec @ f/13...

IMG_7915cropsmrdx_filtered.jpg

To me, this looks like something shrink wrapped in plastic...

I was just checking out squirl033's photos after he insulted my 1st posting here. Now I'll admit most of his scenic stuff is pretty nice (if that's your thing) but this shot, come on...

I was just checking out squirl033's photos after he insulted my 1st posting here. Now I'll admit most of his scenic stuff is pretty nice (if that's your thing) but this shot, come on...

not trying to be insulting, Trollmongo.. i just don't think "upskirt" photos of your wife bending over a Corvette are either tasteful or appropriate for a forum like this. if you wanna shoot her crotch, and she doesn't mind, that's fine, but this forum really isn't the place for that sort of photos.

I took a look at your websites and to find out what photography is and ah, it's definitely *cough not cough* what your pictures look like...

not trying to be insulting, Trollmongo.. i just don't think "upskirt" photos of your wife bending over a Corvette are either tasteful or appropriate for a forum like this. if you wanna shoot her crotch, and she doesn't mind, that's fine, but this forum really isn't the place for that sort of photos.

I have always thought that "photography" included many different genre's...INCLUDING Glamor photography.
I won't be going into the wedding photos, or kid photos and commenting, because quite frankly I have zero interest in that kind of photography...even things like your scenic shots, which were quite good, I normally would not comment on because I don't shoot that kind of stuff and have almost no interest in doing so. I've been in 48 states and 10 countries and have taken maybe a dozen or so scenic's.
So, if your so against glamor stuff...why go look at them and shock yourself?
It does seem that this forum is a bit straight laced...maybe birds and trees are all people here like to shoot...guess I should have looked closer before joining...but then I do enjoy tormenting prudes...:mrgreen:

It does seem that this forum is a bit straight laced...maybe birds and trees are all people here like to shoot....
And dogs...

I'm sure many here can explain better than me but what makes a photo a photo and not a snapshot is based on lighting, composition, subject, and maybe a couple others I'm forgetting. The important thing is to show the viewer that you took the time to make sure those things were covered when taking the shot. Honestly, things in the people photography section have gotten a little slower since the change...

EDIT: If scenic photography is such a turn off to you then why are you in this section to begin with? :er:

Staying on topic, I like the photo, but the things that bother me the most are:

1. Blue cast to the water. This should be fairly easy to correct, and I'm sure there are multiple ways to do it.

2. The composition bugs me a bit. The subject is a bit centered. For me, I like to see space for the waterfall to fall into. In your photo, I'd like to see more space on the right side of the photo, and perhaps see a the pool into which the water is flowing, if there was one.

Other than that, it's pretty nice. It seems a little soft. Is this a cropped photo? Or perhaps it was handheld and it's the slow shutter speed that caused the softness. Or, and with me this is always an option, I'm just seeing things.

Ok, I just checked your website, and I don't think I have any right to give you too much advice. I will say, though, this is by far not your strongest work.

I looked through your site and found some really nice stuff.

But I have to agree, I don't find anything that really conveys more then a snapshot of a waterfall, with this one.

I miss Washington...... :grumpy:

I have always thought that "photography" included many different genre's...INCLUDING Glamor photography.
I won't be going into the wedding photos, or kid photos and commenting, because quite frankly I have zero interest in that kind of photography...even things like your scenic shots, which were quite good, I normally would not comment on because I don't shoot that kind of stuff and have almost no interest in doing so. I've been in 48 states and 10 countries and have taken maybe a dozen or so scenic's.
So, if your so against glamor stuff...why go look at them and shock yourself?
It does seem that this forum is a bit straight laced...maybe birds and trees are all people here like to shoot...guess I should have looked closer before joining...but then I do enjoy tormenting prudes...:mrgreen:

believe me, nothing in your collection is shocking... not terribly well done, but not shocking, either. i have nothing against well-done glamor photography, i just don't think these fall into that category. as i said, they're amateurish, and not very flattering to either your wife or the Corvette. with some attention paid to lighting, better poses and angles, and perhaps a different wardrobe (lose the cheap plastic "hooker" heels), you might be able to achieve some nice results.

if you post pictures on a forum like this, expect them to be critiqued. if you don't like the critiques you get, maybe the problem is your pictures, not the people critiquing them...

But I have to agree, I don't find anything that really conveys more then a snapshot of a waterfall, with this one.

The OP's site? I'm hoping you are being sarcastic lol I thought they were really good.

yeah, this isn't my best work, to be sure. it's part of a waterfall coming down off Big Four Mountain, and i kinda liked the misty, ghostly look to it. but it'll never make it to any of my gallery exhibits, that's for sure...

The OP's site? I'm hoping you are being sarcastic lol I thought they were really good.
?
I said he had some really nice stuff in there. I wasn't saying anything negative.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back