Vello 5D MKIII Battery Grip Question

mkoller

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I recently purchased the Vello BG-C9 Battery Grip for my MKIII Thinking I would save 200 bucks on the oem. Based on the online reviews it seemed to be a solid decision.

When I shoot with it occasionally (being way too often on paid shoots) The power just cuts out on the camera and sometimes the upper click wheel is unresponsive? I have yet to have this happen when without the battery grip on. Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

The major problem is I am not sure how to diagnose that this is in fact the battery grip? At this point I do not trust it and camera seems fine without.

Any feedback or help is certainly appreciated

I can't comment on that particular brand of battery grip, but I bought another off brand grip and I have issues with the camera wheels (T3i) not working on occasion with my grip on. What happens with mine is that the grip buttons and/or wheel get pushed or moved and for some reason locks out the camera controls.

Usually, all I have to do to fix it is press the back button focus on the grip or turn the grip off and back on (It has it's own switch).

It certainly sounds like it's a defective grip. I have the Canon grip -- this issue does not happen with my 5D III.

I have heard of grips interfering with camera operation even when the power switch on the grip is switched off. The grip interfaces to the camera via the array of pins which mate to the contacts on the top of the battery compartment. You can check to make sure they're all clean -- but I'm guessing the pins and contacts are not the problem (incidentally... don't use an eraser to clean the contacts. The gold plating is thin and anything that abrasive actually can take the plating off. A clean soft cloth is usually all that is needed.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back