Velvia and other slide film cost. Is it going up 100%?

battletone

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I think I got ripped off buying a roll of Velvia 50 for $14. I would have bought more, but I was under the assumption it was around $7/roll...which a subsequent google search has shown it is at B&H and many other places. I am going to order a 5 pack for $36.

The guy at the counter said it just went up. This place gave me amazing service and a fairly good price on my last lens I bought. But this just seems like BS.

So is/did it go up recently (like faster than the internet prices can even reflect)?

Maybe that store is just buying less, therefore increasing their cost. :scratch:

In the U.K. a five pack from 7dayshop costs about $30

I think stores charge a ton these days because they don't sell much of it anymore, and they end up with a lot of expired film.

The guy at the counter said it just went up.

Did he see the inside of your wallet just before that?

'Ooh yeah - this guy's loaded'..."Sorry man - the price just went up."

I remember the one time I tried to buy Velvia over the counter. I asked how much it was, and the clerk told me $13. I walked out and ordered some from B&H for much much less.

This was back in 2001, so I doubt it just went up.

I live in Canada and i always order 20 packs from B+H for the best deal, i end up spending $9 a roll, great especially concidering i cant buy it anywhere in town. not to mention its unbelievably sweet quality.

And is the asking price of your print going up 1000% compared to the cost of making a work of art? The more film gets harder to find, the higher the asking price of a print is.

People are collecting B&Ws as if they are buying the last one made, to buy antiques while they are still around mentality. It's becoming very fashionable to have nicely mounted n framed B&Ws on walls instead of paintings these days. Take advantage of that while you still have film to buy, no matter what the cost. This may be the last of it and sell your prints as if they are the last one ever made.

Most reactions

Back