Velvia Pushable?

jonahr

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I shot a roll of ISO 100 velvia today, and just now realized, that i was metering for ISO 400. Can it be pushed in development to compensate and if so will it effect the images in any way?

Yes, it can be pushed, although not all labs offer the service. In general it will probably be grainier and less saturated than normal.

You can ask for 'Push 2' development. As Matt says, the graininess will increase and the saturation may fall (it doesn't always). The maximum density, and hence density range, will probably be less than for normally-processed Velvia. The contrast will most likely increase as the dynamic range decreases: pushing doesn't really increase the true speed of the film, it just develops the exposed parts more. This doesn't do much for the shadow detail, and it tends to lead to blown-out highlights.

Shop around a little when looking for a lab that does E-6 push processing. Prices vary a lot. Labs who do it regularly tend to charge less than labs for whom it is unusual.

Where do you live? Would you like suggestions for labs?

Best,
Helen

Good luck,
Helen

I live near Poughkeepsie, New York. I do my b&w myself but I generally get my color processed at artcraft camera and digital in Kingston, NY.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back