Vertical Grips - A MUST HAVE

I need to peruse the D500 manual some more ...

(Battery)Vertical grips - virtues already said earlier in saving your wrist when shooting in portrait aspect; provides longer battery life; can take AA batteries if needed; can also provide more weight close to your body thus helping improve hand holding.

Wrist straps - I use a Canon E1 which ties into the battery grip and gives me a bit of support; not so much when actually shooting but more when holding the camera at rest; you can lean it against your fingers a bit and let your arm relax a little. IT also gives you a nice point of contact at all times - only issue is sometimes they can be a pain if you're swapping between portrait and landscape very quickly (although the E1 I find is small eough that you can just put your hand over it if swapping back and forth fast - and I very much don't have big hands).

better neck straps - OPTech make some good padded neckstraps which are a joy to use for lenses that are not too heavy (very heavy you really don't want on your neck). The main body of the OPTech also unclips and the ends left on the camera clip together; great for getting it out of the way when you don't need it (eg on tripod).

shoulder straps - Black Rapid is what I use but there's a good few others worth looking into. This gives you a setup that lets you hang the camera down to the side to your hip and puts the weight on your shoulder. they are great to use as they can save your wrist and fingers and for extended periods are a great choice

shoulder straps - Black Rapid is what I use but there's a good few others worth looking into. This gives you a setup that lets you hang the camera down to the side to your hip and puts the weight on your shoulder. they are great to use as they can save your wrist and fingers and for extended periods are a great choice

I second the Black Rapid!

That is really cheap. 1799 with MB-D17. In May I paid 2.349 for the body plus 407 for the grip. More than 1.000 Euros I could have saved waiting. But I did not want to wait. And I really had a lot of fun with the camera privately and on the job.

I like my TacDraw metal camera holster better than the Black Rapid straps I used to use. It has arca swiss mount so it's quick to swap from tripod to holster in the field.

For weddings they may be a great bonus but for me (more likely to be hiking with my camera) they would be nothing but a pain. Even when shooting mirrorless in a target rich environment (airshows/motorsports) I've not found battery life too much of an issue.

The Sandisk Extreme pro is not bad but the Samsung Pro is much faster.

Interesting the camera got so cheap in the US...

I would love one, but I am on the fence with getting one, only because Olympus is charging over $300 for one. Yikes!

I just got a used Oly E-M5 for 300 plus grip for 100, totals 400.

I would say Good to have not a must have

I love my Canon 80d battery grip if for nothing else than a spot for my pinky

Most reactions

Back