Very 1st Portrait

woodsac

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.around395.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Like the title says...it's my first. I didn't post this in the critique forum, because I don't know enough about taking portrait photos. I am looking for some feedback though. But if you think it would be better suited there that's fine.

It's not a professional photo, I know, but is it acceptable to be in a frame and display for personal use? I know there are 'rules' for portraits, but I don't know what they are :blushing: Except to maybe have them take the glasses off of their head 1st ;)

Oh ya, this is my Wife, who is about to give birth to a little boy in about 2 weeks :hug:: so I figured I'd better hurry up and start taking some pics!

sicily_bw_frame.jpg

As far as portraying one's loved ones goes, I think ANY photo is acceptable to be framed and displayed for personal use. Who would you want to dictate you which photo is worth the frame and which one isn't? It is your PERSONAL use.

I know nothing about portrait photography myself, either, so I also come here to ask the pros whether this or that that I try to do is ok.

But with portraits of loved ones I think what counts most is that YOU feel you have captured the other one's personality, if YOU feel the warmth, the love represented in the photo, if YOU are happy with the result.

Personally, I would have liked your wife to look at "me" (i.e. into the camera). But this faraway look is a nice variation, too!

I don't mind the glasses in her hair at all, if that is how she wears them most of the time. Maybe I would have preferred a portrait where both, "model" and onlooker are more on the same level, so we would see her a little less from below. But that is personal, too.

All in all I must say: I shall be thinking of you two in the next two weeks to come, wishing you and your little boy all the best and ---- do send BABY pics!!!

(And there aren't any of your wife in her pregnant stage ... that would show it? Those can be very romantic photos! Unfortunately there is NOT ONE of the romantic style photos of me when I was pregnant. Re-shoots are impossible... )

Thank you LaFoto. Very reassuring! We are going to do some of the more *romantic* photos this weekend.

For the angle, just thought I'd try something different. She is only 4' 10" so I thought I'd give her the feeling of people looking up to her for a change :mrgreen:

She admits she has a habit of squinting when someone is taking her picture, that why I had her look away?

LaFoto said:
Maybe I would have preferred a portrait where both, "model" and onlooker are more on the same level, so we would see her a little less from below.

Good advice. One might think of this as a "kid's-eye-view."

Congrats on the impending birth!!! Is it your first?

-Pete

LaFoto, you can have a retake............it'll just take up 20 or so years of your life.

Let us know when you're ready! :)

Woodsac, I agree with the others. Sometimes a photo is personal, and if you like it, it's good.

Congrats on the little one, and I'll send additional congratulations when he's ready to leave for college. :)

Most reactions

Back