Very disapointed in the Tokina 12-24mm

citjet

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I spent 3 hours on the back roads taking photos of fall colors and switched between three lenses during the shooting. Later Im finding that the Tokina is the least sharp of all, actually looking like the picture(s) are soft especially when taking broad landscape shots. I have used it for some portraits and the images come out ok because of the close distance to the subject.

So Im very disapointed in this lens and am going to sell it and just save up for some better glass. Im using a Nikon D90 and my funds are limited and the D90 at my income level is an investment but I do see the need for Nikkor lenses. My 50mm Nikkor f1.8 is incredible.

So any suggestions or similar experiences?

My first question is what f stop were you shooting at? I have seen lots of reviews on this lens and it seems to fair well. I have however noted that some say it is soft at f16. Have you done a focus test to see if maybe it is just off in it's focusing?

Allan

basically, first day of photo 1 class, first lesson. Cheap lenses make bad pictures.

the glass just isn't made as well = more circles of confusion.

They are a fun cheaper alternative to the pricey namebrand lenses, but dont expect to be shooting to your camera's best abilities.

basically, first day of photo 1 class, first lesson. Cheap lenses make bad pictures.

the glass just isn't made as well = more circles of confusion.

They are a fun cheaper alternative to the pricey namebrand lenses, but dont expect to be shooting to your camera's best abilities.

You nailed it. I did take a finacial short cut and thats the result.

I did try this one at a myriad of f stops only to have the worst in trying to gain some DOF. Seems this lens fails at the higher f stops. Thats too bad considering its construction and opperation is great, but the results suck.

In fact, my cheapy Nikon 18-55 is far better.

There's probably more variation in copies of cheaper lenses like this as well. I personally found this lens to be decent, though not spectacular. It wasn't soft, just a whole lot of CA. The 11-16 is supposed to be quite a bit better, and I believe they released a second version of the 12-24 as well which is probably better too, though I haven't seen any reviews.

But yeah, cheap lenses are hit and miss. The sad thing is though, that expensive lenses can be hit or miss too.

a super wide angle obviously isnt going to be as sharp at a 50mm, especially a zoom.

My friend has the Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 and he absolutely loves it and I've seen some of his pictures, it produces really nice photos!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back