Very dumb Photoshop CS4 question

burstintoflame81

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
When I create a selection using the QuickMask feature, how do I add that selection to the mask that is on the current channel I am in. I know that if I go to New Adjustment Layer, it will place a mask on the new layer with that selection, but if I have a blank mask on the current layer, how do I add it? Its driving me nuts.

i'm not sure if this what u asking, but you can option+drag a mask to copy it to another layer... i think it's option at least... if thats not it try command+drag lol

alt/ctrl on pc

No, I mean I open a layer, like lets say its a Curves layer. I turn on quick mask, use paint bucket to paint the entire image with black ( which is the red mask ) and then I use a white brush to uncover the selection area. After I turn off the quick mask ( so the red tint goes away ) there is now the "marching ants" markers around the area I painted white ( my selection ) . Now how do I just add that to a mask that is on the Curves channel I am currently using. So far, I have had to open a new layer and then it automatically places the mask on the new layer and then I just delete the old layer. There has got to be an easier way.

you click the quick mask icon again :)

clicking the quickmask icon only toggles the red mask. If I click to create a mask it adds a second blank mask to the layer I am on. If I click to move to another layer, the marching ants selection line stays on the photo. I want to make the mask square on the layer I am on, show the black and white masked off area. I am asking how to take the section that I just selected, whether its by using quick mask, or color range, or a quick selection tool, and convert that to a masked area on the current layer I am working on.

Er...do that, and then select the mask you want to add your selection to in the layers panel, and then fill it in with white, paint-bucket style, perhaps?

Well the wierd thing is. I just opened photoshop, made a selection and when I clicked OK on the "Color Range" icon, it automatically made a mask with the selection. I am not sure why it hasn't been doing this. Maybe it was a glitch? I am going to tinker with it more tomorrow and see if I can find out why it wasn't working.

...I am asking how to take the section that I just selected, whether its by using quick mask, or color range, or a quick selection tool, and convert that to a masked area on the current layer I am working on.

That is called a "Layer Mask". Photoshop adds one of these to every Adjustment Layer by default. You have to add one manually to other layers if you want them. If you have a "marching ant" selection active when the Layer Mask is created (either manually or automatically when an Adjustment Layer is created) the new Layer Mask will be replication that selection.

If you can make your Quick Mask selection before creating the Adjustment Layer or before adding a Layer Mask to another layer you will accomplish what you want with the fewest steps. If the selection and masking is an after thought (e.g. you've already created an Adjustment Layer with its default Layer Mask) you have two choices:

-Delete the Adjustment Layer's blank Layer Mask, make the Quick Mask or other selection, click the Add Layer Mask button at the bottom of the Layers panel.

or

-Make the Quick Mask Selection, select the layer that already has a Layer Mask (Adjustment Layer or otherwise), click on the Layer Mask's preview in the Layers Panel, select the Paintbucket, select Black as the fill color, fill the selected area with black (it will paint on the mask and not the image).

Being Photoshop, there are probably 14 other ways to do this...

dwig.... 14?

More like 200 :)
And OP i still dont get what you ment... IF you get any other problems, Download TeamViewer (search google, It's free!)
and tell me the User ID and the pass it gives you and ill watch you do the action and that way I can see first hand what you are doing.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back