Very first maternity shoot.....practice makes perfect I just have to remember that!

Carson38

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Welp here's just a few of my maternity photos. I know that hey are very posed but thats the way we decided to do it. I haven't finished editing yet but I thought I'd just post these to get them out of the way so I can post more in the future. C&C is welcome... :)

MN6.jpg

MN5.jpg

mn3.jpg

mn1.jpg

mn12.jpg

Take what I say with a grain of salt cause twenty years ago when my ex-wife was pregnant, I don't think people were doing maternity shots. Exposure is good, color is good, b&w conversion and sepia is good, and they're sharp. #2 and #4 don't really say "maternity" to me. The lack of contrast in the belly area makes it hard to tell she's got a "love bump". The pose in #4 is OK, but the expressions don't really match the pose. I like the colors and the setting in #5. All in all, a very nice job for a first shoot, and you gave the client what they wanted. Great success!

I agree about the lack of contrast of the baby bump! I didn't really know what I was doing so I didn't even think about it... :S So I asked the mommy if I could do a re take with and she didn't mind at all. And plus I wanted to do a re take cause I didn't get a lot of just her. But thanks for the advice!!!

practice makes PERMANENT

#1. The face is soft or not in focus.

#2 & #3 the same thing....in #2 you nailed his face and she is soft

#4 I like!

#5. The background kills it (IMO) the picture is about her not those useless mountains and trees. I could see some oof mountains as a suggestion that she has something to overcome but added with the tree branches .... Also the light on her nose......

Not being harsh or an a@@hole, just trying to help :)

Last edited:
Im kinda new to shooting models http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/people-photography/211496-scantily-clad-female-please-c-c.html (this was my 7th shoot) when im thinking of doing a particular theme I research what others have done on flickr first. Im look at the posing of the subject, how they lit the subject, the framing and the camera angle .....http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=maternity&ss=2

The maternity shots I like the best are the ones were the woman is lit in a very dramatic way.....

Last edited:
Great I never noticed the light on her nose...now it's going to bug me!!!!!!!!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back