Very first photos with Canon 40D

JamieR

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all, i picked up my Canon 40D today, and I'm loving it tbh. I've been taking a few snaps, nothing special, just random photos so i can get a feel for the camera. All were took with the 50mm 1.8.

Here are a couple of them, you can C&C if you like.

2.jpg

3.jpg

Regards,
Jamie.

Congratulations on your new camera! That is one hell of a cam in your hands. Great way to start in this hobby with those nice shots. Looking forward to more of your photos.

Cheers!

Captain Kimo

Thanks for the comments!

What lens have you used in these photos?

The 50mm 1.8

be careful with that 1.8 aperture. in the second shot you can see as parts of the same flower are not in focus. the beauty of this lens is not to shoot it at 1.8 all the time but that it can get that wide when the light conditions call for it. the sweet spot i think is (on the nikon version at least) at 2.8.

be careful with that 1.8 aperture. in the second shot you can see as parts of the same flower are not in focus. the beauty of this lens is not to shoot it at 1.8 all the time but that it can get that wide when the light conditions call for it. the sweet spot i think is (on the nikon version at least) at 2.8.
Read the exif. he shot it at 2.8

sorry about that then. but still the flowers are not sharp. the stems are and part of the petals but the rest is blur. so a bigger f number is in order.

sorry about that then. but still the flowers are not sharp. the stems are and part of the petals but the rest is blur. so a bigger f number is in order.
Maybe he didn't want all the flowers in focus. He may have made a creative choice to use f/2.8 to get a shallow DOF for this shot.

Too much green in the first shot. . .correct that in Photoshop or whatever post-operation program you use for your camera.

Maybe he didn't want all the flowers in focus. He may have made a creative choice to use f/2.8 to get a shallow DOF for this shot.

that might be the case but as i have stated in my first post, having parts of the same flower in focus and the rest of the flower blurred is what i dont like. it may be just me.

Cheers for the feedback people, as i said in the first post these are just random, nothing special shots, just so i could get a feel for the camera. It's all appreciated though.

Congratz on the new camera Jamie, always nice to get a new toy!

LOL! Come on Samanax.... The guy said to C&C if we'd like.

And theoretically, you could write that general response (below) to every single C&C that anybody makes on this forum. :) "Maybe he just made a creative choice to overexpose that photo...."

Yep, C&C comes from all angles, all opinions... thats what its about.

For your first pictures, I think they are great. There is definate room for improvement on both of them, mostly things already mentionned: green hue, composition, subject matter and so on... but I think they are a good start

Most reactions

New Topics

Back