Very impressed by Sony A7 II

Went to the Sony store the other day because their 4k display caught my eye (very cool, but not enough that I have to have 4k right now) and I wanted to try out some PS4 games and possible the Z3 Compact, found that they had an A7 II, hands on model, which I was quite surprised about. I've never seen a D800 or a 5D mkIII, on display like that. So I had to try it. Man, that thing feels like it is from the future. I mean, I didn't get to test it all that much because no one was moving particularly fast in the story and Sony stores are super well lit, but from what I could tell, it is a hell of a camera.

My a7 I picked up used has served me well these past few months. I haven't held the mk2 but I already know it'll be way better with the different grip and new shutter button location. Your finger definitely falls more naturally on the new location. People who held both say the extra weight isn't very negligible but it does feel more solid in your hands.

I'm using mine with the la-ea4 with some of the minolta lenses with great results. This should hold me well until the system matures some more so that there are more FE lenses on the second hand market to make the prices easier to swallow.

Man, that thing feels like it is from the future.

My friend has one and I used it just for a few exposures and it felt perfect.

I haven't held the mk2 but I already know it'll be way better with the different grip and new shutter button location. Your finger definitely falls more naturally on the new location.

Most of my shots are with the 24-70 and so I'll be content with that for a while. I saw a couple of raw files from that and just thought they were wonderful. The Sony sensor handles color and dynamic range very well. The grip was perfect for my hands.

And just bought mine with 24-70, extra battery and charger.
Delivery tomorrow
Congratulations! Just in time to get to know it before your trip!
Absolutely. My travel partner has an A7R and an A7II so I don't have to worry about extra body or charger.

I'm not certain how he'll respond to the trip which is much more arduous than Myanmar.
This link is to a video of one bus route we may take if time works out

Note that the bus is being pulled uphill by the passengers to get some leeway in the mud.
Note also that this bus is equipped with a tow rope for exactly this purpose.
(we won't be in rainy season the chances of this are smaller)

bus2.jpg

Are you taking both your cameras with you to Laos? What is your set going to be?

Sony a7 and zeiss 24-70
Omd5 pana 35-100, Oly 45, 20 mm 1.7
Friend is taking A7r and A7s with 24-70 and 50

It is stunning how close in size the A7 with 24-70 is to the OMD with 12-35.
Body marginally bigger, lens bulkier - weight obviously greater but not uncomfortable.

I want to get Friedman's book on the A series but I'm concerned that the button arrangements are different.

Can anyone with an A7 verify for me the arrangement differences between a7 and A7 II?

Lew

I bet we are in for a lot of photos to see when you get back. sounds great for you too lew! One question on the bus rope photo. Is that your photo? How come you are taking photos of it instead of helping pull the bus? :bouncingsmileys:

The Sony A7 series, to me, feels like something from the past ... this is the way the old SLR bodies were designed like.

Not to my eye. Yes it is small, but it's design is unashamedly modern. I have not seen a single film era SLR that looks even remotely like it. But I am not an expert in vintage gear.

The Sony A7 series, to me, feels like something from the past ... this is the way the old SLR bodies were designed like.

Not to my eye. Yes it is small, but it's design is unashamedly modern. I have not seen a single film era SLR that looks even remotely like it. But I am not an expert in vintage gear.

In my mind, Sony is the only company making a concerted effort to define what modern and future cameras are supposed or should look like. Where Olympus and Fuji and even Panasonic are making homages to vintage cameras right now (and not that I'm complaining), Sony seems to be looking in the opposite direction. When I saw the NEX-7, with it's dual hind dials and no markings, signifying its ability for those controls to be anything to any user, I really felt Sony was onto something. It seems to me, the A7 only continues in that trajectory. Plus, the camera's horizon level thing looks like it is straight out of a futuristic flight sim.

Sony a7 and zeiss 24-70
Omd5 pana 35-100, Oly 45, 20 mm 1.7
Friend is taking A7r and A7s with 24-70 and 50

So, a little off post, but you still like your E-M5? You just didn't like the feel of the E-M1?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back