Very new, C&C would be nice!

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Yasa, Aug 3, 2009.

1. Yasa

Yasa TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hello everyone,

I'm very new to photography, and while this is only a hobby, I do strive to get better. I have to say, this place can be a very daunting place to start; but that's what I came here for! I've looked at many photographs here and for the most part, they leave me speechless. There is so much to learn here and I can't wait to dive head first into the more detailed threads to improve myself! I bet I could save myself a fortune on classes by just reading the tips from here. Truly an excellent site overall, and seemingly excellent members.

So, like I said; I'm new. I use a Canon Rebel XSi with a 75-300 f/4-5.6 as well as a 50 mm f/1.8. I'm looking to be critiqued fairly hard, as I'm only looking to improve! Here we go;

1: This is a photo of my Grandfather, there has been post-photo contrast editing
    [​IMG]

2: This is of one of my grandfathers dog, Bear (again, contrast editing)
    [​IMG]

3: My flight to Vancouver
    [​IMG]

4: My cousin and his girlfriend shopping in Vancouver
    [​IMG]

5: My cousin and his girlfriend
    [​IMG]

6:My first and only HDR;
    [​IMG]

I was wondering how everyone felt about post-photo editing such as contrast, saturation, etc. Is this considered bad form, or is it generally accepted as being part of the photography process?

Thanks everyone!

2. fokker

fokker No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    #1 you should be able to see his eyes

#4 is pretty cool

#5 is a snapshot

#6 is very good IMO, could have been improved with a bit better focus in the foreground possibly, but I still like the shot.

3. ocular

ocular TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    pic one could do with a fill flash, shadow over his face doesn't do anything for the picture. pic two is not good in my opinion, you need something else other then the dogs fur in the bg.
    pic three good, especially since your shooting through a plane window. Lastly, pic 5 is too out of focus, it ruins a great shot.

4. Yasa

Yasa TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Unfortunately picture 5 was before I was able to grasp proper aperture control. I fully agree with you!

5. musicaleCA

musicaleCA TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    #1 needs fill flash. Lots of fill flash. And I mean lots. There's a gigantic difference there. Probably, what, three stops at least? Maybe four or five.

6. shmne

shmne No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Nice shots keep at it, you make good use of proper composition for the most part.

Number six is probably your strongest in my opinion, I just wish the focus could be a bit sharper but I'm not sure how long of an exposure you used.

Speaking from my own experience and school, post processing (pp) is a tool; and as a craftsmen you are a fool to not use every tool properly and when required. The key is knowing when to use certain tools, and generally there should be at the least an adjustment of saturation, contrast, sharpening, and white balance on every shot. Any more then that though is up to you, as well as the circumstance of the shot / style / emotion or mood.

7. Yasa

Yasa TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Awesome! I've always been torn between using it or not, and when I do use it; trying to find a balance. When do you draw the line between too much PP and not enough? Although I suppose that depends on the emotion that you want the picture to convey.

As for the fill flash, I will be honest; I've never actually used or understood the technique until now. This is exactly why I came here!

8. shmne

shmne No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    The idea of a fill flash is to soften harsh shadows and make what lurks in them a bit easier on the eyes to see. Harsh shadows = distracting / mysterious / emptiness normally. So you look where you have these harsh shadows and apply a very very subtle flash to negate them just slightly and bring some life into them.

The line for me is when you can see the pp. If I can look at a picture and be taken out of the scene or emotion because of the high levels of pp then it is too much. There are times to break the rules though, sometimes too much can be the effect needed to bring life to a shot.

There are ideas like composting where essentially every item in the shot are taken separately and put in there through pp. In these cases darn near the entire picture has been heavily heavily processed to make each piece look congruent and as if they belonged together.

You have to decide where the line is :) it is part of the learning process without a doubt

9. Yasa

Yasa TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Here's one of my roommates bird. She actually is evil.

[​IMG]

10. Samanax

Samanax TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Photo editing is part of the process, especially if you shoot in RAW. Photography is an art form and you are the artist. You manipulate your photo until you get what you want. In photojournalism the amount of manipulation is strictly restricted, but for the rest of us it's perfectly fine to edit your photo as you see fit. It's part of the process.

11. Jon_Are

Jon_Are TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Actually, the one of your grandfather works on some level (depends on what you're aiming for). Also, he's a great subject.

Shoot some more!

Jon

12. blash

blash TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'm inclined to agree, if it was a color photo then yes, a ton of fill flash would be needed, but for B&W I can look at it and say hmmm, it's more of a mysterious look and adds to the character of the subject.