Very new to this...

Discussion in 'The Professional Gallery' started by photo gal, Jun 9, 2005.

1. photo gal

photo gal TPF Noob!

Planet Carolyn..Cool place....you should visit!
    [​IMG]

I am very new to portrait work and am really still in the experimental stage. I am curious what you guys think of this....All comments will be greatly appreciated!! Thank you.

2. danny

danny TPF Noob!

I like this. The focus and tones are good. Pretty model. You? What kind of lighting did you use? And I have to ask about the hair color??? : )

3. Alison

Alison Swiss Army Friend Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I think you're on the right track and it's a great step into the world of portraits. The lighting seems a bit flat to me, what kind of set up were you using? She's got a nice expressiong and seems to enjoy being in front of the camera.

4. Christie Photo

Christie Photo No longer a newbie, moving up!

I agree with Alison on the lighting. That's the first, best thing to work on.

The posing in good. The diagonal lines add a bit of motion.

5. photo gal

photo gal TPF Noob!

Hi Danny and thanks for your comments! Yes, very pretty model, no not me, a friend of mines daughter. The "hair" is a wig. I used to be a costumer and have loads of wigs and such.

Alison it's funny but she was so very shy, I tell you I had to "work" this girl. She is so pretty though and the camera loved her. Thank you for your comments they are appreciated.

As for the lighting I used 2 photo floods 250w each temp 3200. Any suggestions for proper lighting will be greatly appreciated. Because I don't exactly know what you mean about the lighting being flat but I think I "see" what you are talking about. How do I correct this in the future?

Pete, thank you for your comments, again any and all suggestions on improving the lighting will be appreciated. :)

6. Unimaxium

Unimaxium TPF Noob!

Northeastern University, originally from Philly
    Photos OK to edit
    I think the color balance was off on the hair. Somehow it doesn't look... natural... (just kidding :lol: ) It's actually a pretty nice portrait. Good framing / composition, especially.

7. raider

raider TPF Noob!

sorry, but have to ask - is she wearing anything besides the wig? I took a shot like this for a senior portrait (closeup with bare shoulders) - the mom said she looked naked! I assured her nothing was removed. here - I'll post it (actually you can barely see a shirt strap:

[​IMG]

8. Alison

Alison Swiss Army Friend Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Sorry for the late reply on this! For lighting, depth is created by the use of shadows. If you use two lights and evenly light your subject you get a propery exposed photo, but it's flat. Try moving one of the lights at an angle and farther away and using umbrellas to either reflect/bounce/diffuse the light.

9. photo gal

photo gal TPF Noob!

Uni thanks for the comments!! raider she does have clothes on! Alison, thanks so much for the tips I appreciate it, sorry for my late reply as I have been out of town!! Thanks everyone! : )