Very noob lens question...

Mtalicarox

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Ok - what is the difference between a 70-200mm lens (like this one for example Amazon.com: Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L IS USM Lens for Canon Digital SLR Cameras: Camera & Photo)

and a TELEPHOTO 70-200mm lens (Amazon.com: Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM Telephoto Zoom Lens for Canon SLR Cameras: Camera & Photo)

my question isnt really about the difference between these two, but more if they're both 70-200mm - why is one telephoto and one isnt if they zoom the same? Whats the difference between telephoto and regular?

I know it's a really basic question, and I tried using the search function, but for some reason it didn't find anything (i think it has to do with im on my work computer - and our tech department blocks weird things).

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
One is an f/4 "L" series the other an f/2.8 (non L series), that's the only difference I see.

From what I understand, Canon labels their pro glass 'L'.

They are both telephoto lenses. Someone just happen to word the description differently.

One is an f/4 "L" series the other an f/2.8 (non L series), that's the only difference I see.

yeah I know one is their pro series.. my question is more what makes a lens a regular lens vs a telephoto lens.. i know really newb question

They are both telephoto lenses. Someone just happen to word the description differently.

ah - well thanks - but i'm not really asking for a comparison between those 2 lenses (they were just supposed to be examples)

what makes a lens a telephoto lens vs just a regular lens?

Thanks for your replies though - the fast response is much appreciated.

They are both L lenses. IIRC, all of the 70-200 lenses currently produced by Canon are "L" lenses.

Excellent, thanks a bunch noyze - shoulda done that in the first place.. haha got a little carried away at looking at new lenses.. my rents said theyd get me a new lens for xmas so i'm starting to look around for some good ones...

Awesome! I wish I'd get camera goodies for holidays :D

I figured the Wiki definition would be better than anything I could type :lol:

ah - well it summed things up nicely..

yeah they're getting me it for xmas, also because i've been setting up a website for their farm they just bought and want to sell things out of, and since they want to sue some of the pictures i've taken on the website, they said theyd buy me a nice lens for xmas.. I was pretty psyched.. so i'm gonna make sure I get a good one.. hahah

You may want to figure out what type of shot you want to take so to determine what lens (focal length) you need to get.

The difference between the two is exactly $767.01. Not a penny more, not a penny less. Both are fine lenses. Both are L-series models.

A telephoto lens has an effective focal length that is shorter than its physical length. For example, a 200mm lens that measures only 187mm in overall length, that is a true telephoto lens. A 200mm lens that is 200mm in length is an old-fashioned long focal length lens. For several decades at the start of photography, long focal length lenses were all that was built. You can still buy inexpensive long focal length 500mm f/8, all-glass lenses for $99 or thereabouts, from places like Ritz Camera.

Telephoto has lost its original, founding era meaning over the years, much like cellophane tape or the vaccuum jug have lost their original meaning, and people now go to the store to buy Scotch tape, or to buy a Thermos jug. Today, in common parlance, a telephoto lens is a lens that is somewhere around 50% longer than a "normal lens" for a given format, on up to super-telephoto.

Most reactions

Back