Very strange sounding Sigma Zoom lens

mster

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I've bought a used Sigma 70-210 1:4-5.6 Multi Coated lens from a guy at ebay, to replace an exactly the same lens that had broken down.

It works very well. Zoom is quick and there is nothing to complain about apart from a noise that I didn't have on my first lens.

It sounds like something could be wrong.
The guy I bought it from wrote this in the description: "Not sure if its a characteristic of the lens but the focus is not silent."

I know it's not a silent lens from the beginning, but this is way out sounding to much.

Please :hail: listen and say what you think. I have recorded a soundfile of my camera focusing: I'ts just a 300K file.
Link to a sound file recorded of my lens making strange sounds.

By the way. My camera is an Canon EOS 650.

That does sound odd for a lens?

But not for a camera. The gear noise reminds me of a power drive. The beeping sounds like the in focus indicator.

Yes the beeping is offcourse the sound from the in focus indicator. I tried to not focus, so that i could record the innoying sound. That makes the camera beep all the time :) The beeps is as it should, it's the other sound I'm worried about.

The guy probably was trying to sell his lens after it started making that noise, and pretended ignorance in his description so you couldn't accuse of him being completely dishonest. Just my thoughts.

I think it sounds like somethings loose and maybe slipped, one of the rings inside it perhaps. I have no idea and i would advise getting it repaired or if its not worth the money and it still actually focusses keep on using it.

If you want to give a bash at mending it urself try this: http://www.camerahacker.com/sigma_105_ex/Servicing.html
I know its not the same lens but it probably has the same basic stuff as all the EOS lens'...maybe, I wouldnt advise it if the lens is worth a lot.

This may also help: http://www.pmb.net/projects/canon_lens.html

Thank's for the links Will. I wont mess with the lens for now, but perhaps I could try to dig in to my old one... Maybe I'm ending up with 2 working lenses ;)

That sounds like a 'feature' many broken lenses come with! It might be worth looking for a review of the lens or finding someone else who owns one, but it definitely doesn't sound right. It might be worth asking the guy to take it back.

Most reactions

Back