Very Stupid i'm sure simple question

JIP

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can anyone answer this, I shoot with a Nikon D70s and when I download my photos onto my computer from multiple memory cards the all have the same name and numbers so if I try and burn a CD the computer gets understandably confused and asks me to choose wich version of the photos with the same name I want. I guess my question is is there a way to change the name of a group of pictures at the same time I tried this individually and not only was it extremely time consuming it didn't work.

What programs do you use for your photos? You might be able to do a batch job of the photos and tag on additional text or something..Or just have them all in different folders and burn the folders.

My suggestion is change the setting in your d70 so it doesn't reset the counter each time a fresh card is put into it. This way every picture will have a unique number (up to like 9999 or so photos) even if you put in a fresh card or reformat.

Turn the file number sequence option to "ON". This will make it so the camera doesn't reset the number after a new card is put in or formated. Page 155 in the user manual. It's in the Setup Menu.

Well that covers me for the future and thank you. But now my problen is I have 3 1gig cards near full I want to put on my computer and burn to a CD. The quickest way I have found for downloading is just saving the pictures to a folder when the computer prompts me to but I have the software that came with the camera wich is Picture Project I think I also have PS-7 on my computer.

Quickest way is to just put the files in different folders on the PC and do the same when you put them on the CD. Sounds like that is what you are doing.

Here's another tip:
you can use a program named "RENAME"

This purpose of this program is to rename image files obtained from digital cameras, scanners, etc.. All image files in a given folder may be renamed or only image files in the folder that match a selected file type.

Rename has the following features: Image File Type to be renamed may be specified.
Leading character filter may be used to select files to be renamed.
New file names are formed from a "Base Name" and "Starting Number".
Confirm dialog is displayed before files are renamed.
Has its own self-contained "Help".

Rename is Free!
You can download this software at the following "Ed's Software" web site:
http://www.edinaz.com/rename.html

as you can see, this program has an option to start photoes from a specified number.
you can rename the files in one folder starting from 1 till 45 and the other files in other folder starting from 46 till whatever you need and etc.

rename_s1.jpg

rename_s2.jpg

* moderators *
if it's un-appropriate, remove this message.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back