Vet shot...not sure

Discussion in 'Critique Forum Archives' started by cso, Jun 24, 2005.

1. cso

cso TPF Noob!

Have bifurcated reactions...people either really like it, or find it really boring. Can I get some feedback, and suggestions on edits or improvements?

The photo was taken during a Veteran's Day memorial service moment of silence. It's supposed to be solemn.

Canon 20D
    16-35L
    1/400s f/4.5 at 50.0mm iso100
    circular polarizing
    I don't think I touched it, i.e. straight out of the camera.

[​IMG]

2. Rob

Rob TPF Noob!

It's a good crisp shot, and you've captured the personality of your main subject very well. However, I'm not sure about the composition - I'd have been tempted to move the shot left and up a bit to crop out the chap on the bottom right and include the one on the same plane on the left and hopefully not chop off the hat.

I think to achieve greater solemnity (word?) that you'd need the subject(s) to be more engrossed in the goings on, I think the main subject was half tempted to smile whilst looking at you - a natural reaction to a camera.

It's certainly not boring, and you've done well to capture enough information to tell the viewer that they are veterans - the poppies, medals and semi uniform are all good.

I do like it, and as you included an edit, here's kind of what I meant:

[​IMG]

Do you like it?

Rob

3. cso

cso TPF Noob!

I definitely like the crop better, however, I'm not sure about the greyscale. To be fair, you probably did it with a quickie desaturate or convert to greyscale and lost a lot of the tonality...

...it definitely gets me thinking about trying a proper conversion to b&w when I get back to my real computer (on my g-friend's laptop right now so can't fix either this photo or the other one you so kindly commented on...)