vibrance challenge!

magicmonkey

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Here's a photoshop challenge for you, I took this picture becasue the colours were really vibrant and as my name's Ben I thought it might make a good avatar or something, the problem is that it looks quite washed out and I really can't work out how to get it looking as vivid as it did in RL without setting the saturation up so high that it ruins the photo!

Any help would really be appreciated!

*EDIT* I think I should also get the award for longest ever sentence! *EDIT*

Something like this then? Or have I overdone things now?

normal_Ben_myedit.jpg

Oops. That has become small..........:(

Almost something like that yeah, it looks like it's a bit over saturated though and I'm after a really 'natural' feel to the shot. It might just appear over saturated because it's been shrunk as well though!

I've just had a play about with it and I think it was because it was small that it looked over saturated! So what changes did you make to it?

ps. Thanks as well!!! :p

I shifted the curves a little, just so you get a vibrant "Ben" but don't lose too much of the wood in the lefthand bottom corner, and added a +10 of saturation.

wonderfluff, thanks LaFoto, I'll have a go at that when I get home! Well, maybe tomorrow morning, it is Friday after all :)

Well, it definitely is bigger!
And I guess you saved the wood even better.
You work differently with PS --- I am sure you use things that I hear mentioned all the time and know nothing about, such as channel mixers and all such things --- or even different layers?
I still haven't found out how all this layer-"business" works...

Saturation was adjusted by individual colors. Tiny levels adjustment, brightness/contrast and some shadow/hilight tweaks.

All pretty basic adjustments. I think what helped the most was the shadow/hilight. By lightening the shadows you bring out more detail. Then I could up the contrast a little to darken up the colors. That way you don't have to try and make your colors pop with saturation.

Thanks for all the help guys :) I've had a play around and you can see the results at the top. I couldn't find where to play around with the shadows/highlights though, could you point me in the right direction?

Most reactions

Back