Victims of Walmart

Status
Not open for further replies.
As from England I cannot understand the hatred for Walmart.

We have Tesco here and they take the most money of people in terms of food ect, but nobody hates them like some Americans seem to hate Walmart.

I have read all the posts and nobody has really given a good reason.

confused

love the coloring...

walmart sucks...i DO NOT shop there

As from England I cannot understand the hatred for Walmart.

We have Tesco here and they take the most money of people in terms of food ect, but nobody hates them like some Americans seem to hate Walmart.

I have read all the posts and nobody has really given a good reason.

confused

If this didn't do it for you, I feel sorry for you.
A friend of my daughter applied at the local Walmart and the orientation they put the new employees through is really wild. They spend a lot of time showing the new employees anti-labor union videos and discussing the evilness of labor unions. Yet Walmart has no problem at all paying it's workers almost slave wages and keeping their working hours low so that it is almost impossible to get any type of benefits from the company such as health insurance and so on.

Just a few years ago, I cannot remember which state it was in, but the workers actually united and were about to unionize when Walmart simply shut the doors on a very profitable store and fired all of the workers.

That is the Walmart way. Destroy local home-grown businesses and tap into a desperate labor pool that will take any job at any wage.

Sounds like the English 'tesco'

large superstore that sells food, homeware,,cd's and dvd's, teles, cameras ect ect

oh
and

petrol

Walmart own ASDA.

PS Great shot, what did that shop used to sell?

If this didn't do it for you, I feel sorry for you.

I still dont understand.

i mean so what no companies like unions thats nothing new.

I still dont understand.

They take advantage of their employees... a lot. Like paying them bare bones, and giving them just enough hours to keep them under any benefits lines.

Nice shot, but I have a feeling that place was long closed before Wal-Mart might have had any influence on it.

They take advantage of their employees... a lot. Like paying them bare bones, and giving them just enough hours to keep them under any benefits lines.

most of the shops here pay minimum wage.

thats life im afraid

Do usa have a minimum wage?

if so how much is it?

If not what does walmart pay per hour?

I still dont understand.

It runs much deeper than just unions. Like I posted before, years ago, they tried to dictate to the music industry a very subtle form of censorship by telling them that Walmart would not carry certain artists because they did not fit in with Walmart's family values. Walmart is the largest retailer of CD's in the US.

This and other things that Walmart seemingly enjoys dipping it's hands into, make it a place that I do not want to do business with.

Walmart has also contributed to charities as well as setting up their own charities. That is all fine and good, but in most cases, this is done after Walmart comes under unfavorable scrutiny for issues related to the charities they establish.

There was a blog a few years ago from a kid fresh out of high school who went to work for Walmart and he describes in detail how they treat their employees and what the working conditions are like. For the life of me, I cannot remember the name of it and I can't seem to find it. It really was heartbreaking to read some of the stories of the folks who work for this god awful company.

The company resembles nothing to the original stores opened up by Sam Walton years and years ago. I have seen them go into small towns, wipe out most of the local shops, then after their store reaches a certain level of profits, simply lay off the employees, shut the store and leave town. This is why you see so many communitiies who now fight the expansion of a Walmart in their area.

And this brings us to the Walmart shopping experience. The places are huge and extremely LOUD. The employees, for the most part, could care less about you as a customer or what your needs might be. And why would they? Not all their workers are like this, of course. A lot of people care, because that is their nature. But a lot of them could care less- and I don't blame them. I don't know how to put it, but the stores just suck. Plain and simple.

so why do people work for them?

so why do people work for them?

Because a lot of them need jobs. A lot of them are teenagers, a lot of them are retired people. And for a lot of them, Walmart is the biggest employer in town.

Also, the turnover rate at a lot of Walmarts is astronomical. A lot of people who can find other jobs, do so as quickly as they can, so most Walmarts are ALWAYS looking for help.

so what do they pay per hour?

do usa have a minimum wage?

if yes what is it?

I do believe minimum wage is $5.85 right now.

My cousin worked there for a few weeks, and was getting paid minimum wage.

In comparison, I work at target, and they start out almost all new employees at $8.00/hr

To be fair, not all workers start out at minimum wage at Walmart. Usually, it is the teenagers or first-time job workers who are started out at minimum wage. But Walmart does not really pay a competitive wage, compared to other companies. Also, it is their practice of hiring as many part-time employees as possible to cut down on their full time benfits to employees. This is really disturbing. I've heard of workers, when they are first hired, being promised full time jobs within a few months, and they are still there two to three years later, working part time. Walmart sucks, my friend. But also, to be fair, this part time hiring practice is being used by a lot of US companies, not just Walmart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back