Video camera

MLeeK

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am walking blind here. I have used the video capabilities on my cameras all of TWICE. It's not my cup of tea.
So, we have a 16 year old who wants to start recording skate park stuff. And not just recording, but maybe thinking about serious recording. He wants to buy a camera.
Budget? Probably doesn't exist. He's 16 with the typical lack of ambition of a 16 year old who doesn't want to get a job. But, I'd give me a cheap, better and best alternative. With explanations because I sure as heck can't explain to him what he needs-I don't do video!

Last edited:
How about the GoPro video cameras??? I ran into one of their reps the other day at a surfing spot on the West Coast...GoPro has some COOL, small cameras, very good for helmet-mounting and remote mounting....stills AND video....their rep told me their newest model has 11 megapixel stills capability...price is not too high either, and the things, from what I can gather, are very rugged, and are built to be able to withstand some abuse. And knowing both 16 year olds and skateboarders, I expect there is some "abuse" for the camera on its future.

I have a Go-pro that I use for both scuba and motocross. They are very tough and take very good videos.

And this is a good stepping stone to a possible professional level somewhere down the road? Will he be able to learn what he needs to learn on this camera?
I have no clue what he needs to learn as far as video goes, so I am totally clueless here!

Most guys I know who are snowboarding and moutain biking and car drifting are all using go pros. Though with even no budget you can get a halfway decent video camera these days. 80 gig hard drives, full HD for under 300 bucks.

i may get flamed for this. but I think the biggest thing will be getting him a good editing program that he can work with this video footage. without spending the cash on a true high quality video camera I think most average cameras out there now are taking decent quality stuff, it will be whether he can take that footage and make something with it that will be high on the list of things to learn.

Define "professional" lol

If he has no budget I say start with a GoPro.

The issue with GoPros is that they're more of a supplement to a videographer's pack. They are kind of specialized for the action of sports, however they aren't so well adapted for a complete production of a video...Atleast that's what I think.

They're fixed focus and you don't have the full control of a full-sized cam, but for a sports videographer on a budget they work great. Just don't expect amazing control of depth of field or anything. lol

And this is a good stepping stone to a possible professional level somewhere down the road? Will he be able to learn what he needs to learn on this camera?
I have no clue what he needs to learn as far as video goes, so I am totally clueless here!

For possible professional level somewhere down the road, one or more good courses in television production from a college would be essential. They cover all aspects from scripting and planning to the technical and creative.

skieur

For possible professional level somewhere down the road, one or more good courses in television production from a college would be essential. They cover all aspects from scripting and planning to the technical and creative.

skieur

I am pretty sure this is an option he can take at his school and I've encouraged him to take one even before he gets a camera, but he's one to put the cart before the horse too. So we shall see. I am thinking that maybe I should just send him the little canon camcorder I have that I have maybe used a half dozen times and let him have at it. BUT I also know that he won't respect it like he would if he actually had to work and purchase a camera.
From the sounds of things I think the GoPro would be a good start. I kind of figured the software would be the bigger part of the production.
Thanks guys!

They've looked at the GoPro line before and it's not an option because you have no immediate playback. Need something more. SAYS he's going to use a tripod and case so it won't be getting beat up.
So, let's try again?

I used to own the Canon HF S11 camcorder and for a one sensor camcorder it was EXCELLENT. I mean, incredible. This is the model before it I think, and being $450-500 used, I have to say that it seems like a great deal.

Canon HF S10 | eBay

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back