CaitlinsCreations

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
ccportraitdesign.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi Guys,

So I have seen some photographers who have use a "video" light, kind of like a small spotlight in a very dark setting, for a really interesting effect.

Has anyone here done this? What do you use?

I understand too... I don't have or use them, but if I am in a location that there is a videographer, I sometimes take advantage of them, if they are where/when I need them.

I personally would not spend money on them for my needs... they are basically hot lights with way higher power demands than an ordinary battery powered flash... and if I needed more power and a wall socket is handy, studio strobes are the way to go.

For my photography needs, I use photography specific equipment. :)

i figured it was a video camera light he meant.. but wanted to make sure... i would have to agree with jerry on this one.. if there is one nearby that is useful to me, i would use it, but i wouldnt buy them for use.. get a decent flash or 2 and you'll be set

especially at the cost.. i mean that cheap one that mike showed was 25 bucks.. i just picked up a brand new nikon sb50dx from a lady (she used it for about a month) i paid 50 bucks for it.. and its much more useful than a video camera light would be

The photographers that I have seen use them...don't really substitute them for flash all the time. They usually get used in dark situations where it's handy to have a WYSIWYG light. Also, it can help you to focus in dark situation. Another situation is when you want to cast shadows in a specific spot in your composition...it's easier when you can see what you are getting. Lastly, some say that it's less intrusive to the subjects (and those around them) than using flash.

Of course, you can do pretty much anything that you can do with a video light, with a flash.

Ok, I'll be more specific. I don't want to use it as a backup light or anything. But it makes a neat little special effect in a dark hallway, staircse, etc. I mostly wanted to play around with it for some bridal and engagement pics.

The way I have seen it done gives a kind of sexy, secret look, that can be kind of cool. It's more of a harsh spotlight than a flash, and is REALLY contrasted.

You can still do that with a flash, you just need something like a snoot to constrain the light spread. Of course, it's harder to know exactly where the flash is pointed when the beam is so tight...which is one reason it's easier to use a video light.

This is a video light.

barndoors.jpg

this is the pattern it produces

videolightpattern-1.jpg

this is what it looks like on a subject when the light is placed about 12' away

videolight-1.jpg

This is what it looks like when the light is placed about 3' away

videolightCU-1.jpg

this is what it looks like on a subject when the light is placed about 12' away

videolight-1.jpg

Actually, that last picture is that of a man getting a darn good suntan under a video light... lol

Kidding aside, another reason I would not use a video light is becuase it is VERY hash and undiffused. Just look at the shadow behind the person... VERY obvious.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back