Video: Nikon or Canon

Sublime1304

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.next-level-designs.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have a Nikon D7000, I've recently been intrigued with video and it has made me decide to make the switch to Canon. I have not yet done that however but I guess my question is can you produce professional quality videos that is up to par with say the 5D cameras? I understand the advantages of using Canon for videos but is it really necessary? I may still sell my D7000 for a D600 because I do need that full frame but the fact of the matter comes down to what is really the best brand for videos?

Unless you buy a D800, then Canon is far more superior than Nikon in video.

Hi Sublime, Nikon and Canon are both more than adequate for video, and shooters are getting great results with them. One brand is not really any better than the other. But, in my view, the best brand for video in the DSLR/DSLM form factor is Panasonic. Panasonic GH cameras have viewfinders that work in video mode, for example. Canon and Nikon do not.

Panasonic cameras also have silent, autofocusing lenses that continue to work in video mode, while Nikon lenses are noisy and Canon only has one camera where autofocus keeps working in video mode (the T4i).

All Canon and Nikon DSLRs are subject to a shot-ruining phenomenon called moire, except for the new Nikon D5200, the $3000+ Canon 5D Mark III and the $12,000 1D C.

Canons are limited to 12, 22 or 30 minutes of continuous video before you have to restart the camera. Nikons are limited to 20 or 30. Panasonics can shoot continuously for hours.

Here is what the $1300 Panasonic GH3 can do, for about $600 less than the Nikon D600:

[video=vimeo;49420579]http://vimeo.com/49420579[/video]

The GH3 is also a great still camera, with in-camera RAW HDR stacking, wi-fi, a splashproof magnesium alloy body, a headphone jack, and a fully articulated LCD.

This camera is backordered at Amazon, but there are a few in stock right now for $1299 from Kenmore Camera via eBay and for $1298 at Adorama.

Hope this is helpful,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I guess my question is can you produce professional quality videos that is up to par with say the 5D cameras?
You can produce professional quality videos with the D7000 you already have.

Yes, Canon has somewhat better video capabilities, but it's not as a big difference as it once was.

Many don't realize that to produce professional quality videos requires buying some accessories, like a tripod/monopod with a video fluid head, maybe a motorized slider, an external monitor with a hood, a lens and lens hood suitable for video, lighting/reflector equipment, and good audio gear.

Most reactions

Back