Vietnam Vet Memorial

Aprilraven.......here's someone who would appreciate the justice you have given the Vietnam vet monument........if he could. This is my wife's uncle. Probably 16 in this old photo. Three years later he was killed in Vietnam. Nice photo. Thanks

123387292_56dad5a96c.jpg

man, photovision....

you humble me.

thank you for sharing that...

i cant find the words to tell you what that means to me, that you put it here.... it seems like asking you to tell his family thankyou is almost an insult... but after the stories i have heard from vets that come in my office and told me in person how people frowned on them, even spat at them.. and they couldnt wait to have their hair grow out so no one would ask them about it...

he is such a young gorgeous man....

thanks for making this thread so touching, photovision

Thanks for posting these pics Raven... I can't tell you what an emotional place the Vietnam Memorial is. I was at The Wall on Father's Day in 1985. If you can - imagine 2 or 3 thousand people standing around in absolute silence. The only sounds an occasional tear hitting the cobblestone trench in front of the wall. I wasn't "in country" but just across the water a ways providing intelligence support for the troops. Had friends and family who served though. Fortunately they all made it home safely. Let's never forget those who didn't. Your shots do them an honor - especially the last one! Great series.
Dave

To me, the worst part is that so many of them were so young and were basically just starting their lives.

My uncle fought in the Canadian army in the second world war through Holland. He could never talk about it, not even to my mom. What he must have gone through. What they all must have gone through.

Wow april. Excellent shots, and tribute. Nicely done. My faves are the second and last. I would love to see this place one day.

Bad thing about wars is they are always fought by young people.

Having grown up during VN I have always found the memorial to be a very special place. When I was in the Army I knew many VN vets and still do.

You did the place a great justice. Some of your best.

Swear I love the last one Mansi..

beautiful...

and thnx to Aprilraven for sharing this beautiful photos youved had...

ahhh..monicam... your so sweet to confuse me with a young attractive adorable photographer with such a great talent and personality..thanks.
( i do the slip of the tongue all the time...dont worry...)

woodsac, your money is on the way, dude!!
thanks fred, dlld, and dave..ya'll are very very kind.

chiller...come on down, i'll show you the capitol and the memorial...

take ya about 10 minutes.... what else you wanna do???

mohain ... sometimes i can withstand light for a little bit...!!thanks for commenting...

raymond!! hows maria?? i never get to talk to ya much... maybe i need to lure you to the darkside some......( evil grin....)

nah, you gotta take care of your girls... thanks for stopping in...

this has become quite an emotional thread to say the least. your images are all well done Nancy...especially the last.

excellent job!

we should be reminded more often about the suffering and loss associated with the Vietnam War...not to mention how our soldiers were treated. my brother served two tours of duty there and i can remember vividly how the government and general public treated him. it was a sad time for these heros.

visit the Vietnam Wall in DC, more than likely you'll see a vet nearby....you can easily pick him out in a crowd. he wears his colors proudly and stands with honor...he holds his head high today. time does heal, but take a moment to shake his hand or give him a hug and thank him...it'll mean more than you'll ever know.

JonMikal said:
this has become quite an emotional thread to say the least. your images are all well done Nancy...especially the last.

excellent job!

we should be reminded more often about the suffering and loss associated with the Vietnam War...not to mention how our soldiers were treated. my brother served two tours of duty there and i can remember vividly how the government and general public treated him. it was a sad time for these heros.

visit the Vietnam Wall in DC, more than likely you'll see a vet nearby....you can easily pick him out in a crowd. he wears his colors proudly and stands with honor...he holds his head high today. time does heal, but take a moment to shake his hand or give him a hug and thank him...it'll mean more than you'll ever know.

JM, that post brings tears to my eyes. You have an awesome way with words as well as with the lens.

jonmikal....

thank you. you said in words, what i couldnt... thanks so much.

and like antartican... my eyes filled.... thank you.

Most reactions

Back