Viewfinder (EVF)

Shinnen

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I feel that there must be something I'm missing. I have a fairly good bridge camera (FZ150); but am searching for something a little less cumbersome, for those times when I don't want to lug this puppy around. The problem is that most point and shoots, these days, don't have an optical view finder, let alone an EVF; and those that do, cost an arm and a leg. I really don't understand why the viewfinder has been abandoned. I hate using the screen at arms length. Not only are most screens next to useless in bright sunlight, holding them away from your face adds to unsteadiness, and we all know where the leads. Why don't more cameras have viewfinders. I just don't get it.
...... john

Ha, I recently got a point and shoot. Had two or three before and gave up on all of them. Had a Fugi with a view finder of sort's that picture thru the view finder was horrible. The one's with the view finder's were not easily stashed and out of the way when I used them. Without the view finder, very inexpensive models, the screen on the back never lasted over about three weeks. My problem for the most part was viewing the scene on the back of the camera! But the new one I got is a discontinued Nikon S6900. Takes very nice photo's, I think, and the view screen on the back fold away, protects it somewhat. I think the most important thing with a point and shoot is to get something that does pack away easily and get your mind right with looking through the back and, not hearing the shutter sound. Oh, one more thing. Take a photo with my new one and it store's the photo really slow! No shooting on continuous. Also I don't think I have a way to select any priority settings. Camera does every thing for me and probably that is good! About the screen in bright sun, yep, pretty useless! But I found that either shoot out of the shade if I can or hold the camera in one hand and shade with my hat in the other, inconvenient but does work. Bottom line is I like this new camera, fit's in a cell phone pouch on my belt but Having to learn all over how to take photo's working a camera!

Yes, my criteria for a P&S camera 10 years ago was that it have a viewfinder and be able to work in manual mode. I found that in the Sony DSC-V1 and that camera continues to work today in the hands of my grandson (he does not yet have a cell phone).

The agreement I made with him is that he can use the camera, but only using the optical viewfinder and the rear screen turned off and no chomping.

I think today that a decent EVF is a good alternative.

Turns out that holding a camera at arm's length with TWO HANDS, and using the rear LCD does not actually lead to all that much of a problem with unsteadiness...that's an example of 'common sense' not really being accurate. Viewfinders////many old ones were mere peep-holes, filled with parallax at close range, and showed 85% of the actual image area.

Maybe try using it, learning the new rig, and less worry about how you were brought up, or ow this new camera differs from pretor-generation cameras. Can it shoot video? Can it shoot ground-level images more easily? Does it show a better image than a peephole pocket camera? There might be, as you said, "something you are missing". Maybe there are some unexplored or undiscovered positives?

You can add an lcd viewfinder to the back and bring it back to your eye if you like shooting that way plus then your view is enlarged as well for better detail and focus.

I solved the viewfinder problem on my p/s digital with a Hoodman!

hoodman.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back