Viewfinders

KrisHunt

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
With a DSLR camera, if you have the DOF set really shallow, do you see the effect in the viewfinder, or only after the photo is taken? How about with a camera like the Canon XSI? Would you see it in the LCD before the shot is taken?

With a DSLR camera, if you have the DOF set really shallow, do you see the effect in the viewfinder, or only after the photo is taken? How about with a camera like the Canon XSI? Would you see it in the LCD before the shot is taken?

With some cameras you can see the DoF before the shot by pressing a button. Don't know about the XSi, though. If it has that it will be in the manual. So check that, Kris.

But I submit that choosing to see the DoF/closing the aperture in the viewfinder is next to useless because the view goes dark (the aperture closing), so actually seeing the DoF well enough to be able to judge it properly is next to impossible.

When you are looking through the viewfinder of modern day SLRs with modern lenses, you are viewing through an aperture at WIDE open. This is to provide the brightest view to aid in composition and focusing. The lens is only stopped down at the time you press the shutter or if your camera has a feature to stop down the lens manually.

When you are looking through the viewfinder of modern day SLRs with modern lenses, you are viewing through an aperture at WIDE open. This is to provide the brightest view to aid in composition and focusing. The lens is only stopped down at the time you press the shutter or if your camera has a feature to stop down the lens manually.

Yay DOF preview button! But I find most of the time that I like the lower depth of field when focusing. But maybe I'm wrong.

The XSI has a depth of field preview button on the side of the body near the lens mount. It is a little hard to tell what is actually in focus though, it helps if the scene is bright.
...Terry

But I submit that choosing to see the DoF/closing the aperture in the viewfinder is next to useless because the view goes dark (the aperture closing), so actually seeing the DoF well enough to be able to judge it properly is next to impossible.

Qualification:
DoF Preview can be very useful when working off of tripod, with a static subject/image, and all the time in the world.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back