Viewing EXIF Data

One Sister

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have found that the best way to learn is to view plenty of photos and study the EXIF data on all of them, then go out and try the settings of the more successful ones. Is there a way to see the data on photos posted on forums without asking the poster? I've noticed that I sometimes can see the data on some of the photos in LR or AB, but I've also noticed that my own posted photos don't always have the EXIF intact.

Question 1: How can I be sure all the data is intact in my own photos?
Question 2: By what method is the best to view this data in other people's photos?

The great majority of digital cameras inject EXIF data into their pics. If you don't use options or apps that strip that data, it is there.

Sometimes EXIF is stripped from a picture posted on the net on purpose (the poster doesn't want to share that info). You can use EXIF VIEWER to right-click and view the EXIF of any pic on the net... if it is there, you will see it.

I have to agree looking at the EXIF data is a great way to learn - I usually have a check (if its there) on pics to see how something may have been done. I've got the Firefox exif viewer plug-in.

The great majority of digital cameras inject EXIF data into their pics. If you don't use options or apps that strip that data, it is there.

Sometimes EXIF is stripped from a picture posted on the net on purpose (the poster doesn't want to share that info). You can use EXIF VIEWER to right-click and view the EXIF of any pic on the net... if it is there, you will see it.

Sorry, Jerry, I have you answering the same question in 2 different threads, but when I right click on images I am not given an option to open in anything, just save options are there.

That is a great way to learn. It's also a great to help folks once you learn.

http://www.opanda.com/en/index.html

I just downloaded this today and I love it already, but I wanted to ask you, TC, Jerry, Miaow and anyone else who may know, about why that data is stripped from some of my own images...and I didn't do anything different. Sometimes it's there after posting and sometimes it's not and I don't know why.

Sorry, Jerry, I have you answering the same question in 2 different threads, but when I right click on images I am not given an option to open in anything, just save options are there.

I just downloaded this today and I love it already, but I wanted to ask you, TC, Jerry, Miaow and anyone else who may know, about why that data is stripped from some of my own images...and I didn't do anything different. Sometimes it's there after posting and sometimes it's not and I don't know why.

The only thing I can think of is have you edited the ones that have lost the EXIF in any way ie resizing them? I know the program a friend uses to resize will take the exif off (not sure what he uses) - I tend to resize using Irfanview and I know that will give you a check box option on if you keep the exif data or not (i always keep it).

In regards to viewing the Exif data also, with the Firefox plug-in I use - you need to right click on the picture and select Properties - the exif data (if there) will then show (pic has to be fully loaded/cached though).

The only thing I can think of is have you edited the ones that have lost the EXIF in any way ie resizing them? I know the program a friend uses to resize will take the exif off (not sure what he uses) - I tend to resize using Irfanview and I know that will give you a check box option on if you keep the exif data or not (i always keep it).

Hmmm. I always resize the same way, in PS, but sometimes I do more pp than others and sometimes no pp at all. I did notice that if I add a frame to the image the exif is gone but how do I keep it intact?

In regards to viewing the Exif data also, with the Firefox plug-in I use - you need to right click on the picture and select Properties - the exif data (if there) will then show (pic has to be fully loaded/cached though).

I just downloaded some freeware, Opanda, today so that is the only meager experience I have with an EXIF program and so far I do not see a way to see the data without downloading the pic then looking at the data after opening it in Opanda. All the methods you all describe don't seem to be available to me.

When you use save as on a pic does it come up with an option for the exif data?

Also do you use Firefox as a browser? If you do get this add on Exif Viewer then once its installed all you need to do is right click on the pic while you're browsing and view properties.

^^^ Uhhh, no I don't think I've seen an option for saving EXIF data when I save a file in PS, but you know I don't choose Save As, I choose Save For Web & Web Devices. I just looked again and I don't see where I can choose to embed the data and keep it intact, but I'll keep looking. If you look at some of my posted images you will see that some of them have the data and some do not...I just do not know why. I'm thinking when someone tells me what I'm doing I'm going to feel reeeaalllllly, reeeeaalllly stupid.

I did download Opanda from Firefox's site as I do use Firefox. I see that some of the data is in the properties if I use Exif Viewer, but that is not an option with Opanda...I wondered about that. Thanks.

Thanks for your help.

I was just looking at the Opanda Site and there's actually the viewer (which it sounds like you downloaded originally) and also the Firefox add-on which you need to install after you've installed the viewer - just wondering if you installed both cause you couldnt see the details on pics? Just installed them and the Opanda Exif viewer comes up with its own option when you right click a pic I've found. Has way more infro than that other exif viewer I posted the link to also.

I was just looking at the Opanda Site and there's actually the viewer (which it sounds like you downloaded originally) and also the Firefox add-on which you need to install after you've installed the viewer - just wondering if you installed both cause you couldnt see the details on pics? Just installed them and the Opanda Exif viewer comes up with its own option when you right click a pic I've found. Has way more infro than that other exif viewer I posted the link to also.

Thanks for doing this research for me. It was confusing which add-on to download as they seem to have several Exif programs, but I picked IEXIF for Firefox and sure enough...no downloading. Pretty nifty. However, it seems...so far at least...that it doesn't show what lens is used. I like that info because it lets me know from where the photog began the shot...you know what I mean? Now I haven't viewed many images yet, so perhaps it was missing from the few I viewed, but overall it seems to be a pretty dang good little tool. No wonder some folks didn't answer me when I asked for the data...they figured I should be able to see it myself. Thanks for your help.

Thanks for doing this research for me. It was confusing which add-on to download as they seem to have several Exif programs, but I picked IEXIF for Firefox and sure enough...no downloading. Pretty nifty. However, it seems...so far at least...that it doesn't show what lens is used. I like that info because it lets me know from where the photog began the shot...you know what I mean? Now I haven't viewed many images yet, so perhaps it was missing from the few I viewed, but overall it seems to be a pretty dang good little tool. No wonder some folks didn't answer me when I asked for the data...they figured I should be able to see it myself. Thanks for your help.

Thats great ithe Opanda one's working now:)

In regards to the lens - I actually didn't know that the EXIF would give you the exact lens till i looked but yes I did find it :D It's Tag no.0095 on the pics of mine that I was looking at :D

0095 = EF-S18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
0095 = EF75-300mm f/4-5.6

Edited to add: Was just looking at one of your posts and couldn't get the lens info off your pic - Maybe it depends on the camera? Checked another Nikon photo and that also didnt have Tag no 0095... Also check a Canon 40D and that didnt have it either - but a couple of pics from 400D's (inc my own) had it....

It is my belief, altho I'm too lazy to check, that if you 'save for web', in addition to changing the color profile to sRGB, PS also strips out the EXIF - to make the file smaller.

So I have an action that does these three steps: changes mode to 8 bit, converts (not assigns) color profile to sRGB (for web viewing) and File>Save AS.

Then I choose the directory and change type to jpg.

This is slightly more effort but preserves the EXIF data.

Lew

Most reactions

New Topics

Back