Vinetting, digital SLRs, and cokin filters

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by zedin, Dec 5, 2005.

1. zedin

zedin TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Here is a question. When purchasing a filter system do you go by 'apparent lens length' or acutual lens length. What I mean is the cokin filter set has 2 series A and P. A is for telephoto and normal stuff. It doesn't work at angles less then around 35mm since you start to get vinetting with the filter. The P series on the other hand is for wide angle shots since they are a much bigger filter. But my question is will I need to go to the P series when I get a digital camera due to the 17mm wide angle lens? Or is this counter balanced with the 1.5x magnification? In other words if my 'equivilent' length is 35mm am I still good with the A series?

2. j_mcquillen

j_mcquillen TPF Noob!

Don't actually know the answer to your question... :eyebrows:

...but at only a couple of pounds price difference, I would go for the 'P' series - that way you're covered if you ever buy a wider angle lens, or move to a different system etc

3. zedin

zedin TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Yeah.. except I already have most of the filters I need/use in the A series. To replace everything in P series would be ~150 bucks US (stupid polorizer is 60 or 80 bucks)

4. photoboy15

photoboy15 TPF Noob!

The other thing you have to look at is your lens mount size. If you have a 77mm lens mount the A series wont work, or at least I think it wont.