Vinetting, digital SLRs, and cokin filters

zedin

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Here is a question. When purchasing a filter system do you go by 'apparent lens length' or acutual lens length. What I mean is the cokin filter set has 2 series A and P. A is for telephoto and normal stuff. It doesn't work at angles less then around 35mm since you start to get vinetting with the filter. The P series on the other hand is for wide angle shots since they are a much bigger filter. But my question is will I need to go to the P series when I get a digital camera due to the 17mm wide angle lens? Or is this counter balanced with the 1.5x magnification? In other words if my 'equivilent' length is 35mm am I still good with the A series?

Don't actually know the answer to your question... :eyebrows:

...but at only a couple of pounds price difference, I would go for the 'P' series - that way you're covered if you ever buy a wider angle lens, or move to a different system etc

Yeah.. except I already have most of the filters I need/use in the A series. To replace everything in P series would be ~150 bucks US (stupid polorizer is 60 or 80 bucks)

The other thing you have to look at is your lens mount size. If you have a 77mm lens mount the A series wont work, or at least I think it wont.

Most reactions

Back