Vinicius- Black and White Studio Portrait

DanOstergren

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My friend Vinicius, who is visiting from Brazil. I usually don't add a digital frame, but it's a fairly dark image and I don't think it should be viewed directly over a bright white background.

I used a single strobe in an octabox for lighting. The skin retouching was done with a combination of dodging, burning, and spot healing brush (about 99% of it was dodging). Lighting diagram and camera settings are posted below the photo, as well as a link to a before/after of the edit.
_mg_7029bwframed_by_danostergren-dc1cqpb.jpg

Before/ after editing: https://orig00.deviantart.net/0a13/f/2018/026/4/b/_mg_7029bw_by_danostergren-dc1aavm.jpg

screen_shot_2018_01_26_at_10_15_29_pm_by_danostergren-dc1adl2.png

The octa was positioned at a slight above angle from the subject.
screen_shot_2018_01_26_at_10_02_34_pm_by_danostergren-dc1acai.png

Last edited:
You are the king of lighting. I shall try this out on my next portrait session and see how it works for me.

Nice shot. Looking at the before and after I'd be interested in seeing a colour version. That eye shadow is funky!

Nice shot. Looking at the before and after I'd be interested in seeing a colour version. That eye shadow is funky!
Thank you.

I didn't plan on ever using the color version, so it doesn't have the same liquifying that I applied to the back and shoulders as I did to the black and white version.
_mg_7029_by_danostergren-dc1p5m6.jpg

You are the king of lighting. I shall try this out on my next portrait session and see how it works for me.
Aw thanks! Lighting is everything, so I try putting most of my energy in a shoot towards achieving the best light.

Thank you.

I didn't plan on ever using the color version, so it doesn't have the same liquifying that I applied to the back and shoulders as I did to the black and white version.

It's another good shot. I think you're right the strong profile works best in b/w. Thanks for posting.

Thank you.

It's another good shot. I think you're right the strong profile works best in b/w. Thanks for posting.
Thank you.

Most reactions

Back