Vintage Lens Identification - HELP!

oliverjohn3

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
IMG_20170823_230851.jpg
Hi guys, I'm new to this forum. I have recently gotten back into photography, but with little funding I have gone down the route of buying vintage lenses / adaptors as I'm fascinated by their unique look (even where they have dust / vignetting). I recently received a free lens from a freecycle group but cannot identify if its an enlarger lens or a standard lens.

The lens is a screw fit (unsure if m39 or m42) and is a 'H.Roussel Kynor 50mm f3.5' lens.

I would like to know if i can use a standard m42/39 ring mount adapter to EF / EOS 600d (I have read that the flange would be short enough to not need a corrective adapter) as It would be great to get this working.

Help much appreciated - there's little info available online for this lens

Attachments

• IMG_20170823_230841.jpg
    IMG_20170823_230841.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 163
  • IMG_20170823_230940.jpg
    IMG_20170823_230940.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 147
  • IMG_20170823_230934.jpg
    IMG_20170823_230934.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 143
It's an enlarger lens. It uses a special enlarger lens ring to mount to an enlarger.

That's where I'm confused. On other forums, I've seen that most enlarger lenses have their aperture markings the other way round to this. Also, am I right in saying that minimum aperture for an enlarger is f4? The guy who I got it from said that he used to take pictures with it about 50/60 years ago - which suggests to me it wasn't for an enlarger at all.. opinions?

That's where I'm confused. On other forums, I've seen that most enlarger lenses have their aperture markings the other way round to this. Also, am I right in saying that minimum aperture for an enlarger is f4? The guy who I got it from said that he used to take pictures with it about 50/60 years ago - which suggests to me it wasn't for an enlarger at all.. opinions?

Yep, Sparky's got that one right -- enlarging lens. The problem you'll have using it on a camera is focusing as it does not have a helical focus ring. Enlarging lenses can be used to good effect on a camera. I use a 60mm Rodagon on my Fuji X-T2 all the time. To do that I had to purchase a Fuji X to 42mm helical adapter and then a 42-39 step ring.

Joe

You MIGHT be able to adapt it to a camera. My questions would be why would you want to spend the time and money to do so, considering there's far better lenses available?

Thanks very much guys, Seems a little more long winded than I would have hoped for! Shame really, can anyone recommend a good wide angle (ie 10-20) for my 600d? I am also into film making but have recently got a 28mm to get a almost "true" 50mm (as it would be on a full frame) but it simply isn't wide enough for my liking... suggestions?

The Roussel Kynor lenses I have come across have been cine camera lenses.

Sent from my 8070 using Tapatalk

Most reactions

Back