Virgin River with small waterfall--C&C Please

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by LittleMike, May 7, 2010.

1. LittleMike

LittleMike No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Here's what I found today. This is an often overlooked spot about 100 yards away from where the shuttle system in Zion NP drops you off at the Temple of Sinuwava. I know I had overlooked it several times before going back and capturing this! Let me know what you think :)

The conditions were just before sunset and deep inside a 1000ft canyon, with no direct sunlight.

[​IMG]

Canon 5D Mk II
    f/22
    6 sec exposure
    ISO 100

2. Ryan L

Ryan L TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

Utah huh....makes me want to move. I like the shot, I am not sure how anyone overlooks this! I would have dropped your exposure time alot, 6 seconds is way too long if you are just trying to capture the water movement. You could also get a Neutral Density Filter and have similar effects without much of a difference in exposure time than without one. Speed it up a little and the water wouldn't look blown out in area's.

3. LittleMike

Photos OK to edit
    Things like this are actually overlooked all the time. It's amazing how much there is here! There are some of the world's largest sandstone cliffs, some towering over 3000 feet from the canyon floor, and all within 30 minutes of my home :)

Thanks for the advice on the exposure. I'll try to go closer towards early afternoon (the sun only hits the cliffs in the morning) when it will be a little brighter. I'll also bump the iso up just a little if need be.

4. Ryan L

Ryan L TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    If my browser would stop crashing everytime I looked at exif data I might be able to help more! Being this is a 6 second exposure, you must have a few things going there. Your ISO might pretty low (that's good), I would think you had a small aperture, your dop is pretty wide. So I would assume the light was really bad in there or your whole picture would be blown out at 6 seconds.

5. Darkhunter139

Darkhunter139 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I agree it would be better with a shorter shutter speed. Instead of giving the water a movement effect you kind of made it look fake.

6. reznap

reznap No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Great shot and outstanding for the beginners' section.

I really like how the photo has 4 'stages' where the bottom is all water, above that is trees. On top of the trees you have dark colored rock and above that is lighter colored cliff-side. Sort of climb up with your eyes.

7. LittleMike

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks for the input everyone. I'll head back up sometime this upcoming week and try it again with a shorter shutter speed and post up the results. I'm thinking I'll try to aim for about a one second exposure this time.

Reznap, thank you for the complement. It's always encouraging to hear something like that and really gives you a drive to go out and do it more!

Darkhunter, thanks for being honest. It's so good to know what I need to do to improve.