Virus Problem

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by creative_one, Sep 10, 2009.

1. creative_one

creative_one TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    My laptop has a virus if I do the recovery system would that delete the virus?
    I do know the exact location of it & when I delete it & go to the recycle bin & delete it from there too. Is it gone for good?
    If not how do I get rid of the virus?
    Thanks

P.S. I when to bestbuy last nite & bought the photo editing software ( PHP X2) again & i asked an a geek squad agent about reinstalling the office 2007 even thou it said on the box that it can only be installed in 3 computers. He told me that since i have installed it on my laptop before this happened & if i do need to wipe the laptop clean & i can still install again.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2009
  2. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    stage one is to use a virus scanner - AVG is a good choice and is free as too is AVAST. Both are solid and popular scanners with a good reputation and each one offers a free (fully working) version.

I would also recomend a good firewall program - Zone Alarm is a popular (and again free) firewall.

Then I would recomend Spybot Search and Destroy as well as Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (Also all freeware)

If those programs (or your existing virus scanning software) cannot remove the virus you can certainly try to restore to a previous restore point and see if that solves the problem. Failing all that its time to copy off your important data and then wipe the computer clean.

3. creative_one

creative_one TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Would that get rid of the virus for good?

4. Dmitri

Dmitri No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
  5. Tappout

Tappout TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Try going to HouseCall - Trend Micro USA and running the online scan. If it recognizes a virus it will remove it. This has resolved about 90% of the virus issues I have dealt with over the past few years.

Good Luck.

6. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    If you perform a full format of the harddisk then all data will be wiped off it* viruses, programs, website listings everything goes (even windows). Most modern computers come with a restore CD which will not only format the harddisk but will also resinstall all the programs and such which were installed on your computer when you bought it. Anything you added or created after would have to be backed up on another machine/DVDs/CDs/external harddive BEFORE you use the formatting disks.
    You would then have to reinstall it all after.

7. Tee_bird

Tee_bird TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I would definitely run a series of scans before I attempted a wipe. It's easy to do, but a pain to get everything back to how it was.

Just remember when doing your virus and spyware scans to try it in safemode. After it scans, restart and do it again. On the second scan write down or remember any that may have come back as it may not be as easy to remove (some are pesky like that). I usually end up googling the ones that aren't removed after three tries with the scans to figure out an alternative.

I also use programs like HiJackThis to remove things manually, but I would do a little research before trying that. It takes a little background knowledge.

I'm not gonna lie, the summer of being a computer technician made me pretty good at virus removal.

8. o hey tyler

o hey tyler Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Delete system32? 100% success rate in helping you not deal with viruses. :)

9. Tee_bird

Tee_bird TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    :lol: You know there's people who will actually follow this advice...

10. jamsbrown85

jamsbrown85 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I would recommend the spyware doctor for resolving the malware issues and Zone alarm for virus and Firewall. As these are the best software for antivirus and spyware. I have used them when i got lot of malware and virus attack when connecting internet once. now mys system is virus and malware free and working smoothly.

:meh: