Visiting Chicago

Discussion in 'Photographic Discussions' started by scottdg, Jul 22, 2008.

1. scottdg

scottdg TPF Noob!

I will be flying into the area in a few weeks for software training. I will be staying in Rosemont and I plan on going to Chicago as soon as I get there. I am looking for some advice on places to see. Where should I go for those shots can't miss shots I must get while I am there? Also any recommendations for bars and restaurants that I won't feel real out of place in by myself (I hate sitting down for a meal alone).

Also if someone knows the CTA system well, which stop should I get off at to start walking the city. I guess I will be taking the blue line in from Rosemont as long as I can get there easily from my hotel.

Thanks for the advice.

Scott

2. zandman

zandman TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    blue line i think can get you to china town, (not sure) wait, i think it's red line.

photograph thing:
    water tower, wrigley bldg., hancock, sears towers, buckingham fountain, millenium park (bean), navy pier, magnificent mile (michigan ave.), mcdonalds at dearborn and ohio, (not sure too, but you will recognized that), oprah's building near navy pier, (in front of drake hotel, there's a beach there where the ladies hang out with their 2'' bikini bottom cuz that's the minimum by chicago police.)

bars/resto/fastfood:
    house of blues - live band performance, some famous bands on weekends.
    crobar - there's a strip club next door.
    bubba gumps - at navy pier.
    level, soundbar, vision.
    hardrock cafe, rainforest cafe
    excalibur.
    gino's east.
    portillo's
    china town: china cafe, good dimsums there.

museums:
    adler planetarium, shed aquarium, field museum, museum of science and industry, art institute of chicago.

shopping:
    pretty much it's around the michigan ave.
    macy's, water tower.

my favorite spot to go into is the adler planetarium at nights, you can take a good chicago skyline at that spot.
    there's also a free trolley that goes around the city, look at the symbols in front of each trolley, it will tell you if it's a shopping trolley, going on museums, etc. i can't remember much.
    and also, there's a boat tour that goes around the river.

for the cta, you can get a week pass for bus and train. not sure how much though.

and if you need some photography equipment, there's a ritz camera store near mcdonald's at dearborn.

i'm pretty sure i missed something...

3. scottdg

scottdg TPF Noob!

Thanks for the info.

The blue line will take me to a point where I can walk around though correct? Are there any areas I should avoid, especially if I am walking around at night?

4. Emerana

Emerana TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Only tip, do not do what I did. Do not delay going out to take photos until the last day. Perfect weather until that last day :( go on the first nice day

5. zandman

zandman TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    hm.. don'ts places at night, garfield and stony island, it's southside of chicago. it's like an urban area but the graffitis there are cool like under the train and stuff. just don't walk with ur camera hanging at ur neck, theft might smell it, that's why whenever i go downtown i just put my camera on a normal bag that it doesn't seem like one.

actually if you take the blue line, it has connection to other lines(orange, pink, red etc.)
    here's the map of the chicago L
    [​IMG]
    so from blue line, (go down to clark st.) transfer to pink or orange line (go down on randolph) and a few steps you will see millenium park and michigan ave. then you could walk through michigan ave. and ur gonna see some subways that will take you back to blue line back to ur hotel. i guess that's the easiest way. i don't take L that much.

i knew it i missed something! united center! haha.
    going there, blue line all the way, it's beside UIC.

6. scottdg

scottdg TPF Noob!

Thanks for the info.

7. MarcusM

MarcusM TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Not trying to be rude - I've only driven through Chicago and been to some suburbs, but when I go to cities I've never been to, I make sure to go to non-homogenized-chain restaurants with crappy food that you can go to in Any City, USA.

Bubba Gumps, Hardrock Cafe, Rainforest Cafe, House of Blues, these are all restaurants you will find in almost any large city.

Go find some good restaurants that you may never get to go to again!:)

8. zandman

zandman TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    like some of the "chicago's best" that other city don't have, say portillo's and gino's east. :D:D

oh, and if ur still here by august 25th, it's HIN nightshift. if you wanna go.