Vista or XP

Discussion in 'Digital Discussion & Q&A' started by Christie Photo, Jul 31, 2008.

1. Christie Photo

Christie Photo No longer a newbie, moving up!

Well... I'm finally ready to add a computer. Although I'm a Mac fan, I'm sticking with Windows since everything else is in place.

I can still buy a computer with XP Pro. It's what I know.

Is it time to jump to Vista? I'll be running CS2. Nothing else.

Any insight is appreciated.

Thanks.
    -Pete

2. tasman

tasman TPF Noob!

Stick with XP Pro. I have another computer with Vista and it gives me problems with some software and some other things. XP gives me no issues.

3. iflynething

iflynething TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Agreed with the programming issues and new software. It's weird how it administrates stuff and asks you every freaking damn time, would you like to continue. It seems as though this or that is trying to harm your computer, would you like to keep going. It took me about a month and a half to get completely used to how Vista runs

~Michael~

4. nynfortoo

nynfortoo TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

You can disable that if it's too much of a bother.

Vista is ace compared to XP, in my experience. I've been using it for about 18 months now, and my computer is still nice and zippy without any care to keep it clean or organised; Vista's automatic defragmentation is excellent.

I always managed to bog XP down, regardless of how much effort I made in keeping it clean.

It takes a bit of getting used to, but I hate going back to XP now. I use it at work, and it's rubbish*

*opinion, once again.

5. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    If all your doing is photo editing and websurfing then there is not need to move to vista - the real (and about only) reason is for gaming where only vista supports DirectX10 - (and not those vista only games, they were cracked in about a week ;))

Oh and as for that program that askes for your permision everytime you run something - here is how to turn it off:
    Go to your user control panel (the place where you set your password and little computer ava) - that is start:top right click on the little image.
    Once in the new window open up the bottom option on the list - called "Turn user account control on/off" Once on the new page untick (click once) on the box and save settings.

And there you go - all you will get now is a little warning box in the bottom right of your computer when you first turn it on - telling you that it is off. Than this warning vanishes in moment anyway and then won't bother you at all. Its not even a good security feature as any hacker just has to name their virus "Windows critical update" or something like that and 99% of people will click ok

6. Christie Photo

No.... no surfing. STRICTLY photo editing. I don't intend to add it to the network.

It's starting to look like Vista would be the way to go.

Thanks to all for the input thus far!

-Pete

7. DragonMoon

DragonMoon TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I agree with the above...though I don't have any problems with XP (I use it at work as well).

8. usayit

usayit No longer a newbie, moving up!

North New Jersey, United States of America
    Photos OK to edit
    I'm going to vote XP... mostly from my experience of dealing with customer machines running Vista.

At home.. no Windows boxes there.

9. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit

Why?
    Vista is openly admited to working on a higher system drain than XP (on service pack 2 and 3) which means more of your computers speed is going to running the OS and not your editing programs
    Further its a large OS to install, and whilst you will probably have a large harddrive on the computer anyway - why waste space on the OS
    Finally if you do go vista I emplor you to get the ultimate edition - its far more stable and smooth running than the other editions - its worth spending a little more on the full OS which works rather than dealing with the problems later on (though vista has got better over time, ultimate is still more stable)

10. Christie Photo

OK.... It's done.

I went with XP Pro. The deciding factor was cost. The machine I bought has just 2gb of memory. I'm told Vista wants more.

This is what I ordered.

A big THANK YOU to all who weighed in.

-Pete

11. Bifurcator

Bifurcator TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Cost? Then why not use Hackintosh or Linux? Both are better OS's and both cheeper than XP Pro. Oh well. :D

12. peterbj7

peterbj7 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Four reasons to buy XP if you can still get it:-

1) Vista is a system hog, and you need monstrous specifications to get the same performance as a much lower spec machine running XP

2) Vista won't run some of the popular software out there, and in some cases there isn't yet a Vista version

3) Vista is (still) full of bugs and I know lots of users who constantly have problems with it

4) Vista is designed to spy on your computer usage and report on it to Microsoft. This is secret so you don't know what it's monitoring, and you can't turn it off. One example is checking for "illegal" music downloads

I will never run Vista, mainly for reason (4). When the time comes that I can no longer get a machine that will run XP (and that will happen, as XP drivers are not being produced for hardware components developed since Vista was announced), at that point I'll switch either to Mac or Linux. I know many people with this view and intention.