Vista unsuitable for photo editing!

RVsForFun

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I just read an article in June 2007 Shutterbug magazine (pg. 62-66) stating that Vista was unsuitable for professional photograph editing. I find this an interesting assesment, don't you?

The reason Vista isn't usable is that when it (regularly!) pops up a security dialog box to authorize an action (every action, it seems), it dims the screen and DEACTIVATES MONITOR CALIBRATION! Why it does this is anyone's guess, some programmer did it and didn't tell anyone probably. In any case, the article's summation of the issue is "The effect of this is that it will interfere with editing or printing by making normal screen matching predictably impossible. .... As it stands, with this "bug", Vista as an operating system can't be recommended."

Wow - makes Macs look pretty good, yes?

Not that it takes much to make a Mac look good against a windows machine, but I am thinking that bug will prolly be one of the first to be fixed... that's just wonky.

Of course, that whole security authorization system is a nightmare... they advertised all the greater security features of Vista, yet the first thing that almost everybody does when they get it is to turn the security enhancements off.

another reason to stick with xp pro for now. . . looking back does everyone remember how crappy xp home was starting out?

microsoft really is pretty disappointing in my opinion, they sell their software half finished it seems, while there will always be bugs etc, that is somthing they surely knew about vista.

kind of like ea, another company who can't finish a product completely.

hmmm . . . macs are looking more and more attractive

I have vista and the only time I get a security warning is when I access a core programme, I mean registration keys and reliability monitors, virus scanners, instaling new software, not from a graphics editing programme, and no it doesn't turn off monitor calbration permanently it just switches to a dim screen and locks out everything else till you authorize or not.

The only way you'd need to authorize every action is if you go to the control panel and click a box that requires windows to do that, it's not the default by a far shot. So far it's been far superior to XP when it comes to clibration and automatic colour profile switching depending on what you're viewing and with which programme. Yes it was annoying at first, witha steep learning curve, once I knew the ins and outs that was it.

We run Vista on our work laptop... and it works fine for editing... the authorization box isnt something that pops up in the middle of processing... only when you start or change a program... and as far as I know it does not deactivate monitor calibration...

Why would you try photo editing with Vista? It's a RAM hog.

Vista is seriously a joke.

I really can't understand anyone who would choose a PC over a Mac given the current offerings.

I really can't understand anyone who would choose a PC over a Mac given the current offerings.

because you pay for the looks..not the performance

Because you may need a PC to run other software that doesn't run on a Mac.

agreed

because you get good PC hardware for reasonable pricing ...

and noone is forced to use vista on the PC ... .

According to the article, Vista DOES deactivate monitor calibration on a security dialog box (which happens often). That's the whole point of the post!

We run Vista on our work laptop... and it works fine for editing... the authorization box isnt something that pops up in the middle of processing... only when you start or change a program... and as far as I know it does not deactivate monitor calibration...

This will help my brother with his Vista system - he hates all these pop-ups!

I have the admin control settings turned off. I do not get those permission pop ups.

I have not been running vista very long. I have found that Dreamweaver 2004 causes a security warning when it loads which I find really funny. I haven't noticed any issues with photo editing.
For Raw support, they have allowed the manufactures to create codecs you can install so that your Raw files will function just like jpgs in vista. I haven't had a chance to test that out yet but it sounds pretty cool.
As far as Ram hog, I have noticed that while it almost always uses up half the ram I have, even when I load new programs such as Adobe (also known for being a memory hog) the RAM usage doesn't change more than about 5%.
The 16 "Are you really sure?" windows are very annoying however.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back