Vista unsuitable for photo editing!

It takes all of 10 minutes to get Vista running the way you want it to. It amazes me that people will spend hours learning one thing, but toss up their hands in regards to others.

I have Vista running on a Pentium M cpu and 1gig of ram - it is a significantly better experience than Windows XP.

I started this thread to mention a monitor calibration issue with Vista and it's turned into a Mac discussion. Based upon one post, I *did* discover the User Account setting that greatly reduces the number of security dialog boxes Vista gives you (but doesn't eliminate them entirely). While this helps a lot, there's no reason for Vista to disable monitor calibration profiles after the box appears (that was the point of the entire thread).

As for Macs, I have no doubt they work better with their hardware, less driver problems, etc. No doubt at all.

What's irritating for me, however, is the inability of Mac owners to recognize WHY PCs are 95% of the market and Mac's aren't - single sourcing. PCs are extensible and there are literally thousands of suppliers, hence the wider selection of software and hardware. Since Macs come from one place, they can control everything about their architecture but at a higher price. I'm not saying I won't use a Mac, but 20 people making video cards is a better choice than 3, for example.

Again, Macs are wonderful machines and you're not making a bad choice in getting one. I nearly got one for my daughter's HS graduation a few weeks ago, but deferred to PC so that she could have the standard software - Word, PP, Excel and whatever else the college wants her to have.

Ap-ple Ap-ple ..I love Ap-ple! Ra Ra Ra!

sorry just felt like being a PITA

I would buy a Mac if they were simple to upgrade, change hardware, and add hardware. It just isn't

Because you may need a PC to run other software that doesn't run on a Mac.

I have used Mac for years and not had a problem getting software to serve my needs.

Is it true that Vista strips off the meta data from raw files when it opens them? I don't know if this is a real problem, a problem with Nikon RAW, or a problem with all RAW files. I have resisted upgrading my laptop OpSys due to this reported issue.
BTW, I still run Win 2000 Pro on my edit machine. It is very stable and has been bullet proof since installation. I have built PC's for some time now and feel very comfortable with the hardware, and the proven versions of Windoz. My first experience with a Mac was a small 10" B&W screen and a puny keyboard. That turned me off on Mac's right there. At the time I ran a color EGA 17" monitor and felt the platform and OpSys were simply better. Now with a couple laptops, a few desktops and a file server, I can't justify changing computing platforms any more than changing camera platforms.

I have used Mac for years and not had a problem getting software to serve my needs.

I have a client that owns a sign shop. All his software requires a PC. As a matter of fact, one program requires Win 95. This machine drives a plotter/cutter that is used to cut lettering for signs. Another client is my vet. His lab equipment is all run by PC's only. He does DNA, all typical and specialized blood-work and other tests specific to exotic animals and all this is PC based. I own a direct to garment Tee-Shirt printer that likes the PC version of it's driver software much better than the Mac version, many features of the software have not made it to the Mac version yet.

Most reactions

Back