Vivitar 385Hv for off camera use

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Foxtrot_01, Apr 21, 2010.

1. Foxtrot_01

Foxtrot_01 TPF Noob!

I was reading on the internet that when buying a used Vivitar 385hv you should be careful since the old ones apparently might burn your DSLR. If I am using this used flash as a off camera flash, should I worry about this? What should I look into when buying a used flash for off camera use?

2. Village Idiot

Village Idiot No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    The 285HV is lower voltage and specifially designed for a digital camera. That's what the HV designation stands for. If you're using it off camera, that won't matter anyways.

If you're worried spend a little more and look at something like a Lumopro LP120. They're about $120-$130.

3. pokopelo

pokopelo TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]i found this in the web not sure if it will help.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Just be sure if you use an old non-Nikon brand flash from the 1970s that the trigger voltage isn't too high. You can use a voltmeter on the PC or hot shoe. Some old flashes used a 300 Volt trigger and that could fry newer cameras. [/FONT]​